Shunkoso

Check Hakone Hotel Deals

Shunkoso Hakone Reviews

ellechic ellechic
Affordable Ryokan with In-House Onsen! Oct 14, 2008
Shunkoso is a small, traditional Japanese inn with affordable rates and their own private onsen (natural hot spring). The 23 traditional Japanese-style rooms have tatami floors with low tables, and en-suite private toilets and private hot spring baths.

For the price, cleanlines, great staff, authentic traditional Japanese inn and the ryokan-onsen experience, I highly recommend this place!

The staff speaks some English and were very helpful. I arrived early and they allow me to drop off my luggage while I went off to go sightseeing and came back during check-in time.

Check-in is from 15:00 to 18:00. Check out is by 10:00.

For one night, I paid ¥7000 plus the optional dinner which I highly recommend. My room was very clean and spacious. It had a small TV, a tea/coffee set on a low table and a Japanese table and a couple of chairs by the window. [Average price for a ryokan w/ onsen is from ¥10000-250000 a night.]

They provide a yukata (Japanese robe) you can wear during your stay. It can be used for walking around the ryokan and as pajamas.

While you have dinner, the ryokan staff lay out the the futon on the floor for you before bed time and fold it away while you are having breakfast. During the day, the futon is kept in a closet.

Breakfast is included buffet-style. They serve both Western and traditional Japanese breakfast.

If you want dinner, you have to pay extra. I highly recommend having dinner at the ryokan. They serve regional and seasonal specialties. I did and loved it! They were several, seasonal, small dishes. Very delicious. It was a great experience for me.

They have 2 onsen (indoor natural hot spring), each with a rotemburo (outdoor natural hot spring). Look for the colored awning before entering (red for women, blue for men) as they change during morning and afternoon so both genders can enjoy both onsen. They are open from 0600-1000 and 1800-0100 (check with staff for confirmation of the onsen hours).

Please observe PROPER ONSEN ETIQUETTE! Thoroughly wash yourself at the bathing area. No soap and shampoo are allowed in the onsen. You go to the onsen to SOAK, not BATHE!

They accept only cash!

-=Directions=-

By Foot,:

It's about a 12-15 minute walk from the Hakone-Yumoto train station.

Please ask for detailed directions at the tourist information in the Hakone Yumoto Station. You can obtain a map there too.

By Bus:

Take the 'B Course Soun Dori' bus for ¥100. The bus departs at '15 and '45 every hour until 6:45PM.

For Hakone Free Pass holders, take the bus across the street by the train station for free.

*Remember to tell that driver you want to get off at near Shunkoso ryokan.

I recommend to take either bus with your luggage because of the steep, hilly roads.
Shunkoso Ryokan Onsen - entrance
Shunkoso Ryokan Onsen - onsen #1
Shunkoso Ryokan Onsen - onsen #1 r…
Shunkoso Ryokan Onsen - rotemburo …

Related Travel Blogs About Shunkoso

Hakone: An Onsen Ryokan Birthday Experience
It was cloudy when I left Tokyo. The temperature slightly chilly as I left the hostel after breakfast to catch the early shinkansen train to Odawara from Tokyo Station. I took the Hibiya Line to Ueno…Shunkoso Ryokan, he asked if I have a Hakone Free Pass. I said, yes. He said…

Check Hakone Hotel Deals