Shopping in Amsterdam

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Shopping in Amsterdam Reviews

dqfn1 dqfn1
Dappermarkt, the busiest daily market of Amsterdam Jan 03, 2011
Loads and loads of shops are located in the city centre of Amsterdam. But when you leave the city centre you'll find daily markets. One of them is the (in the Netherlands) famous Dappermarkt. This market is in the Dapperstraat (Amsterdam-Oost), located near severall tram- and bus stops, a train station and the Tropen Museum, and is not touristy at all!!! You won't find any tourists here, but you will find loads of different nationalities though.

This market (founded in 1910) has about 250 stands and is open year round, all days of the week except on Sundays and holidays.

You can get there from Amsterdam Central Station by train (get out at Muiderpoort Station: by Sprinter Amersfoort Vathors and Rotterdam), tram: 3 and 7, bus 22, 37.

Tram and bus stop at the Dapperstraat, just a few steps away of the market. In case you take tram 9 get out at the Wijttenbachstraat/Lineausstrat.
sarahelaine sarahela…
Dec 01, 2007
OK, I know. Shopping free? The woman's mad :)

Well, put it this way. None of the shops have a cover charge, and no-one is making you spend money. Well, except for on shoes. I swear, the shoes stole my credit card and bought themselves. Honest! :) Caveat over! So now, if I can apologise for the poor spelling... :(

I had intended to do this as a sort of tour, but I never know where I am, so the directions are going to be a little vague.

Area to the right of Amsterdam Centraal - average priced-expensive shops

To the right of the station is an area with some nice shops. Cross at the boat stop and look for the little brown signs to Leidseplein next to a canal. If you follow these, you'll come to a network of streets with boutique clothing stores, art shops, and the sort of shops where you can buy gifts. Behind you, if you double back when you get to the canal there is a road with loads of coffee shops and ornamental sex stuff, but I'm not too interested in them so I left that bit quite quickly. There are some really neat kitchen stuff shops in here too.

Jordaan and surrounding areas - cheap-expensive stuff

The Jordaan has everything from flea markets to handmade jewelery ateliers. I loved the markets in particular - the one near the Nordsekirk has some art and handmade jewelery, and a surprising number of very posh Brits as well. The network of streets here started life as a working class district and there are still loads of affordable interesting bits as well as the boutiques. There's some great street art too.

Dam and Kalverstraat area - average-expensive

The department store on Dam square is as close to Macy's as I've seen in Europe, with the sort of Tommy Hilfiger end of designer in plentiful supply. Kalverstraat is closer to the UK highstreet in price bracket - stores include Lush, H&M, Didi, Superstar, ESPRIT, Zara, and the rest of the usual Dutch clothing stores. Kalvertoren is more of the same, and the shopping centre immediately behind the Royal palace as you leave the Dam has a nice Mango and a big Sissy Boy. Nothing too surprising, but nice branches and nowhere near as crowded as I thought they'd be.

Area between Kalverstraat and Leidseplein - average ish

I got lost. But this is where I found the American Bookstore, which is a good source of English Language books when you've read everything you brought with you ten times. Near Leidseplein there's another H&M. This Christmas there's an ice rink on the Leidseplein and a place you can buy poffertjes if you are in need of fat and sugar by now. I know I was.

back to the Dam square - average ish

Leidsestraat (I think that's where I was - the caffeine was wearing off!) has a lot of shoe stores. Nuff said. There's a fairtrade store round here too, but I got lost again.

Road that runs parralel to the Damrak, it's on your left if you have your back to the Damsquare, but not quite as far left as the red light zone - average

all the stuff you saw on kalverstraat, but slightly less crowded. I wish I'd found it sooner.

which brings you back to the canal you started at, ready to limp with your bags to the station. You need a coffee, don't you? Me too.
sarahelaine says:
I missed that when I was there. I'll have to have a look next time - I'll be back to spending a bit more time in Europe in the near future, I think. :)
Posted on: May 10, 2015
bramblerick says:
i noticed you are a christmas decoration collector.Did you know there is a christmas shop in Amsterdam that's open 365 days a year? Maybe a tip when you're visiting Amsterdam again. ;-)
Posted on: May 10, 2015
sarahelaine says:
thanks!
Posted on: Dec 06, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About Shopping in Amsterdam

Gone Dutch!
All my pictures from Amsterdam are uploaded here: http://www.ladyglam.multiply.com/photos I absolutely love the I amsterdam campaign by the way! Anyway here are four words that can describe my Ams…shopping streets in the Damrak, one of Amsterdam's many shopping areas. When we got to the place, it smelled…
Dan, Ben and Steves tour of South East Asia 2002
Wednesday 3rd April 2002 After 10 uncomfortable hours on lufthansa’s finest 747 we landed at Hong Kong’s Chek lap kok airport at about 7am, unfortunately we’d had seats in the middle row so di…shopping centre yesterday. We left the bar and got some food, on the way back to Gullivers a girl sat on the steps outside shouts to us, it turns…
Travel blog so far
January 03 2007     Oliver. You’re late! Carl barked at me. We had scheduled a meeting to run through the current situation on the recruitment sales pipeline.  I checked my watch…shopping and then went to the jungle gym to do some exercise.   I went fucking mental: lifted too many weights to many times and felt a little saw after…

Check Amsterdam Hotel Deals