Shojoshin-in Temple

556 Koyasan, Koyasan, Japan

Shojoshin-in Temple Koyasan Reviews

saltycoco saltycoco
Shojoshin-in Temple lodging in Mount Koya May 24, 2010
Shojoshin-in Temple is one of the many and also oldest buddhist temple in Mount Koyasan that offers lodging to pilgrims or travelers to the area. Koyasan is a small quaint little town up in the mountains, considered to be the center of Shingon buddhism when it was introduced in Japan.

The temple Shojoshin-in was a great place to overnight and experience the daily routine of buddhist monks. I arrived quite early, but the lady that worked there gladly checked me in and showed me to my traditional style Japanese room, with tatami mat floor, kotatsu table, and a small tv. I had a nice view of the temple garden from my room. Outside the hallway was the toilet and sink room, and on the other end was the bathing area, with a wooden hot tub water that could easily fit 3 people. This temple was very clean.

The location was also perfect, just a few steps from the bus stop, and just next door to the best site in Koyasan in Okunoin cemetery, as well as just walking distance to other Koyasan sites.

Since this was a buddhist temple, they only serve vegetarian dinner and breakfast done in kaiseki style fashion. The food was amazing and delicious. I had second thoughts of eating vegetarian meal, but rest assured it's better than I imagined it to be. The meal is served in a large dining hall.

At 6 am is when the morning prayer ceremony takes place. All I had to do was watch. The deep chanting sound made by the monks was really interesting, and we got to take part in lighting up an incense at the end. Overall I really liked my stay in this temple. It cost me just over $100 U.S. to stay, but this was also the most affordable temple lodging in the area.
Outside of Shojoshin-in Temple
Outside of Shojoshin-in Temple
Inner walls of Shojoshin-in Temple
Near the entrance
Glynnes says:
Sounds lovely. Thanks for sharing.
Posted on: Nov 27, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Shojoshin-in Temple

Holy Mountain and a night at a temple.
Mount Koya / KoyasanI woke up the following day only to find out it was still raining.  I hopped on the local JR line on the way to Osaka station, from where I will transfer to Shin-Imamiya s…Shojoshin-in, and it’s one of the oldest temples in Koyasan, which was built 3 years before Kongobuji Temple
Koyasan Map