Osaka, Japan

Shitennō-ji Osaka Reviews

drmorrisj drmorrisj
Shitennō-ji in Osaka Nov 11, 2012
My trip to Osaka was a brief one. This is the story of a man who had a 6-hour layover in Osaka.

First I locked my belongings in a locker at the airport. This way I had less weight to carry on my back (fewer lenses, less food).

It did not take me long to figure out how to get into the city itself. My goal was to get to a Buddhist temple called Shitennō-ji. Shitennō-ji is the oldest Buddhist temple in Osaka. Generally speaking my goal in any city is to visit something ancient. Thus, seeing the Transamerica building in San Francisco is completely boring to me (no offense to those who want to bask in large buildings). Ok, back to the story. So I figured out how to get into the city fairly easily. Once I arrived at my stop I realized that Osaka is much warmer than Sapporo (the city that I had just flew in from). Was it hot? It was smoking hot. I was there in September of 2011. I walked down the street from the train station and had some delicious food with eggs in it. I cannot tell you what it was, because I only looked at a picture to order. The meal was delicious, however, there was a piece of wood in my food, so the owner cut the price in half. I was not necessarily looking for a discount, but I did want him to know that I found something in the food.

I walked up the hill and finally arrived at Shitennō-ji. After paying to get in I immediately started taking many pictures. The interior of the Shitennō-ji Temple Tower was beautiful! I also went inside of a temple that housed several large gold Buddha statues. These statues were incredible works of art! It must have taken over 10,000 man-hours to complete the statues alone.

I felt so blessed on this day, because the sky was very blue. I took several pictures of the Shitennō-ji Temple Tower as well as the East Gate, Nio, Torii, and the Courtyard. Even though this was the only place I visited, I considered the trip a success.

According to the information at the temple, Shitennō-ji was built circa 593 A.D.

As I only had a few hours, I left Shitennō-ji after seeing the entire complex. I suppose that if I had stayed in Osaka longer I could have seen many more things (e.g. Osaka Castle). However, I was content with what I saw. The fact that I came away from that trip with awesome pictures was definitely enough for me to consider it a success!

Other notes: as is customary in Japan, Osaka was a clean city with trains that run on time. Even though I am incredibly patriotic, the United States can learn much from Japan when it comes to efficiency.
I forgot, but I like the photo.
Closeup of Shitennō-ji Temple Tow…
koji-jpn says:
You were unlucky to find wood in your food. I've never found it in my over 50 year-life. But we, Japanese eat burdock, which looks like wood and it's possible that the cook couldn't explain it well.
Posted on: Oct 24, 2015