Ship museums

Oslo, Norway

Ship museums Oslo Reviews

davidx davidx
3 museums connected with ships Jul 02, 1997
Do you mean Maritime museums - do I hear you say? I suppose it would sound more normal - except that the Maritime Museum itself is the one museum connected with ships on the Bygdøy peninsula in Oslo that I have not visited! The three covered by this review are The Viking Ships Museum, The Kontiki Museum and the Fram Museum. Incidentally they all open on a Monday!

If you take the boat from the Radhus (city hall) it goes to one point in Bygdøy and returns from another. If you walk so as to use the boat both ways, you will reach them in the order they appear above.

The Viking Ships Museum (Vikingskipshuset) has as its main exhibition three large burial ships found by rich tombs and restored.

The Kontiki Museum contains the raft Kontiki used by Thor Heyerdahl to cross the wild Pacific Ocean in 1947 to attempt to prove a theory. As you look at its apparently delicate balsa wood frame and the tiny sleeping compartment, you might almost start believing in miracles! The papyrus boat, Ra II, and some artefacts from Easter Island add to the museum's appeal. I am sorry to say that this is the only one of the three, with gentle slopes, that can be viewed properly by the disadvantaged. In both hte others it is necessary to walk up steps to look down into the boats.

The Fram Museum contains the ice-breaking boat used by both Nansen and Amundsen in their polar voyages.
Kontiki

Related Travel Blogs About Ship museums

Day 1: From Papenburg to Farö
My bf Klaus and me made a road trip to Norway with my camper in June 2009. We've been on the road for 3 weeks and we drove exactly 4,144 km (= 2,590 miles). Since we've been in the south of Norway la…Oslo and Kristiansund where you can find lots of cultural and natural attractions as the Viking ship Museum in Oslo
Day 3: From Sarpsborg to Harestua
Another early getting up in the morning since we wanted to do some sightseeing in Oslo. Klaus is fond of the viking's history so we visited the Viking Ship Museum at first. Oslo is chaotic to drive. …Oslo. Klaus is fond of the viking's history so we visited the Viking Ship Museum at first. Oslo is chaotic…

Check Oslo Hotel Deals