Shinkansen Reviews

ys484 ys484
A network of high-speed railway in Japan Jan 12, 2015
Most of foreign tourists will use a Shinkansen in Japan. Many Japanese tourists also use a Shinkansen comfortably. But the fare of Shinkansen is expensive compared to a long-distance bus, so some people will choose an expressway bus. I took a shinkansen after a long time, so I was not used to choosing the most suitable Shinkansen for my destination. Nozomi stops at big stations like Tokyo, Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka. Hikari stops at more many stations. Kodama stops at all stations. Recently shinkansen rail network has been extended. It links most major cities on the islands of Honshu and Kyushu.
in Nozomi
at Shinkobe station
a Shinkansen ticket office of Shin…
binky binky
Fast, Comfortable and a Must! Mar 30, 2010
Travel through Japan is known for being expensive unless you plan on traveling extensively, in that case you are better off buying the 7 Day JR Pass for around $315.00USD. It seems like a lot, but trust me, when you see the prices for a one way ticket you will jump on the chance to buy the pass which gives you full access to any city on every Shinkansen train except the fastest train, the Nozomi which goes around 300 km/h.

Clean and comfortable, the Bullet Trains have plenty of room for passengers and suitcases, even the larger ones. Suitcases, not passengers, though I am sure larger passengers will fit comfortably, as well. The seats are great and so easy to nod off in as the scenery flies by.

Feel free to bring food and drink because everyone and their mother does, though you can buy items on the train from the carts that go through the individual compartments. Be prepared the snacks are spendy if you buy them on the train. Interesting note, the person who sells the goods along with the ticket collectors will always bow when entering a cart and bow when exiting.

When you are on the train, I will be honest, it doesn’t feel as if it is going that fast, but trust me…it is! Our final night in Japan, we were waiting for our train when the Nozomi flew past our platform. Besides being deaf momentarily, that train was just a crazy blur. At that moment, we knew the power of the Bullet Train and our love grew deeper!

If you are in Japan, this is a must just to see how far behind the rest of us are!
vances says:
Thanks for the review. Should I ever be fortunate enough to visit Japan I will have the benefit of being properly trained...

Posted on: Jul 13, 2010
ratu ratu
Perfection Aug 20, 2008
Months ago, spanish minister of transport was so proud about Spanish High Speed Service (AVE), she said that It's the best of the world and also have the best punctuality even that Shinkansen...

Well, this is true because:

It's Faster : 350 vs 300km/h

More punctual: 99.5% vs 98 (or something like this)

Confortable : Trains are like 1 year old as maximum in Japan much more

BUT there are many reasons for this:

Ave is faster because was designed few years ago , shinkansen are runing since 1964!

It's more punctial because have less stops(5 Bcn-Mad vs 35 Sanyo-Tokaido), less trains per hour(2 vs 10) and the scheduled arriving time is 20 minutes later than real, Shinkansen is almost 1 to 2 minutes.

What the suposated worlds faster conventional High Speed Train would never reach is the Shinkansen perfection, on my last day in Japan, when I descend on Nagoya Station I was in front of the head station and I can see the complete coreography for autorizating the train departure: OMG IT WAS LIKE AN OPERA! It's incredible they look like a machines, I get amazed, this is a MUST!

On the other hand what shock me more was that I could see 2 Shinkansen with only 3 minutes of diference of departing time on the same track(also can see it on the pic).

This is actually the only transport wich I know that with eyes closed and standing on my line I could come in and get sure that 10 seconds before departing time, the train and the door are there.

About the JR railpass it's a must, It's expensive but you will use it so much (I did 2500km in few days), without reservation or nothing...take it!! Also many advices: Your place is on car 1 to 3, I suggest HIKARI trains, NOZOMI are forbidden for our pass and KODAMA stops in almost every station.

If you have got any questions, LET ME KNOW!

Super Nozomi
European ICE (siemens) at Munich
ratu says:
Sooner or later I will do it!

Posted on: Aug 26, 2010
RIGAS says:
Posted on: Aug 26, 2010
ratu says:
Thank you!
Posted on: Feb 14, 2009
Andy99 Andy99
Japan by Bullet Train Mar 23, 2005
The Shinkansen is the well-known high-speed rail service in Japan. Also known as the "Bullet Train", the high speed passenger trains began operation in 1964. The first, the "New Tokaido Line", went into operation between Tokyo and Osaka on newly built dedicated right of way. An extension from Osaka to Fukuoka opened in 1975 (Sanyo Line). Since then, Shinkansen service has been extended north of Tokyo as far as Hachinohe on Honshu and on Kyushu.

There are three types of service on the Tokaido and Sanyo Lines: Nozomi, Hikari, and Kodama. Nozomi serice make very limited stops and employs the newest and fastest equipment. (Japan Rail Passes are not accepted on Nozomi trains.) Hikari trains cover the same routes but make more stops. Kodama trains are more local or regional in nature and make all stops, though are still high speed. The other Shinkansen lines have similar classes of service.

I rode a Hikari train from Tokyo to Kyoto. The

Series 300 Shinkansen covered the 513.6 km (308 miles) in 2 hours and 40 minutes with one stop. The 2+3 seating arrangment was comfortable, though the seats and pitch were smaller than on Amtrak Acela Express high-speed trains. Luggage capacity is limited to carry-on items in an overhead rack, similar to airline carry-ons. A food cart came though the coach, but like many passengers, I had pruchased a bento food box at the station before departure. Dwell times at intermediate stations are very brief, only about two minutes. You must be prepared to disembark!

Don't forget there is also an extensive standard passenger rail network in Japan that goes nearly everywhere.
Series E2 Shinkansen
Series 300 Shinkansen
Shinkansen service and destination…
Shinkansen arriving at Tokyo
Glynnes says:
The Bullet Train is something I must give a try. Thanks for sharing.
fransglobal says:
I loved the bento boxes. If only the food and the trains in the US, and Ireland, were as good...
williamsworld says:
I don't know how many times I rode this thing. It was funny because it could cost just as much as a plane ticket. Oh well.

Great review.