Shikinejima

Shikinejima Reviews

michaloonie michaloo…
How to live on Shikinejima... Jul 04, 2009
Hey!

So once you get to Shikinejima head to one of 2 campsites. One, Oura, is reserved for July and August AND Golden Week (the busy times) and the other, I forget the name, is reserved for the rest of the year. Both have running water (potable) and toilets close by. They also have bbq pits to cook with charcoal.. Right now there's even free charcoal at Oura.

Once you arrive at the campsite, sling your number tag on your tent and chill. There's grocery stores in town and a fishing store as well. It don't think they sell camp fuel (white gas, butane, etc) so I would bring as much as you think you'll need. The beaches are beautiful and the people are friendly.

Most people on the island know who I am (although our conversations are limited) and I've only been here for a week which is longer than most people stay I think.

I fished for squid with an old man who's been camping here for a few days longer than me. We caught a bunch and fried them up with Tempura batter the next day... AMAZINGly delicious.

It's a beautiful place, check out it out.
Shikinejima Map