Sheraton National Hotel

Sheraton National Hotel Rates and Deals

Sheraton National Hotel Arlington Reviews

jennjeff1 jennjeff1
Changes in transportation but still good for Pentagon duty May 04, 2010
I had stayed previously at the Sheraton National Hotel Arlington (Virginia) but things have changed slightly since my last two visits. Last time I stayed here in April 2006, you could call the front desk and get the hotel shuttle to take you anywhere in the local area: Pentagon City Mall, Pentagon, National Airport, etc. When I stayed again on official business at the Pentagon 3-7 May 2010, the only place you could get shuttle service was Pentagon City Mall (which still has Metro public transit access) and National Airport. I was able to forgo the rental car expense since the hotel shuttle was able to pick me up at National Airport and take me directly to the hotel every 30 minutes. I was very thankful that because my flight was late that the driver waited for me to get my luggage from the baggage area before he departed for the hotel since I was the only passenger!

Here is the trick if you want to go directly from the Sheraton National Hotel to the Pentagon: There is a bus every 10-15 minutes that departs from the Navy Annex just 2 blocks away which goes directly to the bus stop at the Penatgon, and the same on the reverse route. I tried walking to the Pentagon the first day, but they give guests a hassle at the security gate on the closest side to the hotel, and it took 25 minutes at a brisk pace. I even went "next door" to the hotel to Henderson Hall which is a Marine Corps installation--they even had a large 3-story PX which had the "hard-to-find" memory sticks for our camera equipment. Very convenient to have military shopping so close to the hotel!

The hotel is so good that I finally joined the Starwood Preferred Guest® loyalty program on this latest trip. Unfortunately, I was unable to secure a room at this hotel for another trip in June 2010, even though I had just been there in May 2010. Seems now that school is out and it is high tourist season in DC, I had to look elsewhere for a room with Pentagon access.

I also enjoyed the daily sunrise view of the Capitol Building, Washington Monument, Pentagon and one of my personal favorites: The Air Force Memorial "Missing Man" formation built like the Saint Louis Arch in highly polished stainless steel.

I also enjoyed the new Wednesday night feature with a real sushi chef from Tokyo--which was quite good. I also spent some time at the hotel bar and was pleased with the large selection of wines, along with my "usual" Jack Daniels!

The rooms at the Sheraton National Hotel are very comfortable with tons of pillows. My room had a big flat-screen TV and internet access. The hotel is nestled between the Marines and Navy Annex installations, in an old neighborhood with just a few single-family houses and an apartment building. The rooms are very clean and the bar/reception/transportation staff are very freindly and helpful. I'm glad they have rooms at the government contracted rate since the next best price is almost $100 more per night ($226 per diem rate).

I will always try to stay at Sheraton National Hotel on any future government business in DC.
Sheraton National Hotel double bed…
Sheraton National Hotel double bed…
Sheraton National Hotel desk and f…
Sheraton National Hotel bathroom w…
jennjeff1 jennjeff1
Best Place to Stay for Business and Visiting the Pentagon Jun 06, 2010
The Sheraton National Hotel Arlington was much better than the Hilton Crystal City for duty at the Pentagon and Metro access. Although the government paid for most of the nights we were in DC, they had a great weekend rate of $107 per night if we were able to stay through the extra days, which would be a great value for a 3-star hotel in the DC area. The location is actually misleading from the name: you are pretty far away from National Airport compared to the Crystal City area, but there is still good shuttle service between the hotel and the airport which does not require getting on the I-395 freeway (critical during rush hour). The hotel is a 16-story monstrocity in a small residential area (see foreground of photo) overlooking the Pentagon, the Navy Annex, Arlignton National Cemetery, and the fields of suburban DC in Northern Virginia.

The hotel is well-maintained and we had no problems with anny of the ammentities. The bed was extremely confortable and the selection of various-sized pillows made for a very comfortable stay. I knocked my head into the eye-level soap dish in the shower, but it was a good shower with descent water pressure. The sink area is outside the bathroom, but this seems to be a trend in 3-star hotels nowadays.

The best part of the Sheraton National Hotel Arlington was the shuttle service. We could call the front desk and get a shuttle directly to the Pentagon, and they would even pick us up on a 15-minute wait from the time of our call, just enough to walk outside to the pick-up area. The phones seemded to get busy around 0600 and it may take a few tries to reach a guest services person to schedule a ride on the busy mornings, but we never had a problem catching the shuttle to the Pentagon. They also have regularly scheduled service between the Pentagon City Metro Stop/Pentagon Row Restaurants and the hotel every 30 minutes until 11:15PM. This makes getting to downtown DC a breeze via Metro and provides several options for food and shopping.

Overall, we thought it was better than staying at Crystal City where we had to walk several blocks to the Metro just to ride it for 2 stops to get to the Pentagon. The Sheraton National Hotel Arlington has large banquet facilities, a bar, restaurant, room service and helpful bell hops. There's even a WiFi and computer kiosk area for guest use.

Great place to stay when duty calls!

Sheraton National Hotel Overview

Conveniently located just two miles from the airport, the Sheraton National Hotel is just three miles from downtown DC. With the hotels complimentary shuttle service to the metro, as well as several city destinations, guests will have no trouble reaching area attractions. Visitors can tour Arlington National Cemetery, the White House, the Capitol, the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, the Kennedy Center, and the Smithsonian Museum. Other points of interest are Georgetown University and Old Town Alexandria. Local corporations include IBM, US Airways, Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics, Verizon, and Northrop Grumman. Guests can take the complimentary shuttle to the metro station or Ronald Reagan National Airport. The Sheraton National Hotel is just off of Interstate 395.

The Sheraton National Hotel offers 415 guest rooms, including standard rooms and suites. Rooms include premium bedding with pillow-top mattresses, two dual line phones, wireless high-speed Internet, and complimentary weekday newspapers.

Guest amenities at the Sheraton National Hotel include an on-site rooftop restaurant and lounge, a heated rooftop swimming pool and sundeck, and a fitness center. For the business traveler, the hotel provides a business center and extensive meeting and conference facilities, suitable for many events.

Sheraton National Hotel Amenities

• Exhibit Space
  • Disabled Accessible Rooms
  • Wheel Chair Access
  • Fitness Facilities
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower