Shell Shuckers

n/a - (419) 447-6313

Shell Shuckers Tiffin Reviews

PhinsAndGills PhinsAnd…
Aug 17, 2007
Shell Shuckers is a casual restaurant and bar attached to a Quality Inn on Routes 53 and 224 in Tiffin, Ohio.

I rated this restaurant "average" simply because that's what my experiences have been, average. While I have not had a bad experience, it's never been particularly memorable, either.

The atmosphere is top notch. If it's not busy, request a table overlooking the Sandusky River. The river is very peaceful here and makes for some very nice views. There is a patio along the river as well. The rest of the restaurant has sports memorabilia throughout, most from local sports teams, and televisions set to sports channels. Oh, the best part of the restaurant. There's a bucket of peanuts on each table. You can have as many as you want and throw the shells right on the floor (hence the restaurant's name...)

They have specialty nights. Wednesday is “Mexican night” when they make Mexican (more like Tex-Mex and American-Mexican) and have Mexican beer on special. One night is specialty pizza night.

The food is what made the experience "average". They have a WIDE variety from fish, burgers, pasta dishes, and salads. You won't have any trouble finding something for everyone on this menu. (Perhaps a vegetarian would be limited, as most everything has meat. The salads charge extra for the meat, so if you're a vegetarian, you're pretty much limited to salad.) The best way to describe the food is to tell you of my families' last trip:

Mom ordered a Hawaiian chicken salad. It, by far, was the best meal at the table. A large helping of chicken salad came served on a quarter sliced fresh pineapple. This was surrounded by fresh strawberries and other fruit. There was also this very yummy orange-bread that was REALLY good. The texture was perfect. Her plate was not only extremely pleasing to look at, but had an excellent mixture of tastes.

My husband had the beer-battered cod sandwich with cross-cut French fries. The lightly seasoned fries were very good. However, the fish was over-fried. The outside of the fish was dark brown to black in places and too crisp, like they left it in the oil WAY too long. He will not order it again.

Dad ordered an appetizer: a half pound of wings with the Texas sauce. The sauce was VERY good. The boneless wings were good, but again, left in the fryer a little too long.

Dad, Grandpa, and Grandma all ordered a steak wrap. They agreed that they could have each easily eaten half. It was loaded with large portions of steak. I did not try it, and there were no complaints from any of the three. No compliments other than about the size, either.

I had the Greek Salad (no chicken). I will only order this again with the dressing on the side. I think they mixed in a gallon of the stuff. It was coated to the point of almost inedible. The dressing was very good, but my lettuce was literally dripping with it.

The staff was very friendly. They weren't overly fast, we waited awhile for drinks, meals, checks, etc. But we like to sit and talk, so this didn't bother us much. All three checks had some kind of mistake that needed fixed, which was taken care of with no problems.

Will I go back? Of course. It's a nice place to eat, especially with a group of about 4 - 8. However, I'll avoid anything fried and tell them to put all dressings on the side. Maybe I'll just order that Hawaiian Chicken salad - YUMMY!

Check Tiffin Hotel Deals