Sheik Isa's House

Sheik Isa's House - inside the wind tower

Sheik Isa's House Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Sheik ISa's House Mar 04, 2009
First, if I can apologise for the spelling? I don't know quite how this ought to be spelled, so please let me know if I'm wrong.

I have no idea how much entrance is - there is a ticket desk but I was with a local, so after a quick chat in Arabic (which I don't speak) we seemed to walk right through. Accesibility would be fine in the bottom floor, but if you had mobility problems I think you would struggle with the stairs. All signs are in Arabic and English.

This house - a palace really - was the home of the grandfather (or possibly great grandfather?) of the current King of Bahrain. It is a wonderful palace, with beautifully carved teak doors and gypsum screens. Although none of the rooms are furnished now, you can get a good idea about at least the layout of the house. It is very, very pretty. The signs are interesting and informative, although I think it might make more sense if you go to the National Museum first - that really helped me to picture what went on where.

Easily the most interesting bit was the wind tower, which was a way of cooling homes before air conditioning. The tower is open to the wind on all four sides, but closed inside so that the breeze is funneled into the room below.

I would definately recommend coming here.
inside the wind tower
arches
Wind tower from the roof
Al Muharraq Map