Sheepstor

Dartmoor, England

Sheepstor Dartmoor Reviews

davidx davidx
Sheepstor and Burrator Sep 04, 2010
As a boy living in Plymouth I have two principal memories of days out inland; of course many were to the seaside. Sheepstor is one of the two. I will let the term include Burrator as far as this goes because we never reached Sheepstor without passing Burrator.

Burrator, in spite of its name, is NOT a tor. A tor is a hill with a granite outcrop at the top; Burrator is the name of a picturesque reservoir serving Plymouth. I remember one day during a drought watching a fox drinking from it at mid afternoon.

The name 'Sheepstor' covers two places; a tor sometimes written as Sheeps Tor and a small village at its foot. Sheeps Tor is an unfortunate piece of nomenclature as their is no record of the tor having any connection with sheep. It is, however, a perfect tor for a young child to play. Hide and Seek is very much in the hider's favour. I never lost my love for it and I hope you enjoy the picture website I have given.

The village is typical of small villages on Dartmoor. My father was a Lay Reader in the Church of England and occasionally preached in the little church; sometimes I went with him and there was a very small local congregation. An interesting feature is to be found in the graveyard - tombs of the Brooke family, so called 'white rajahs of Sarawak.'
davidx says:
Have a look at http://www.squidoo.com/white-rajahs-of-Sarawak for a very brief account.
Posted on: Sep 05, 2010
Chokk says:
'white rajahs of Sarawak.' never heard about that before!
Posted on: Sep 05, 2010

Compare Tavistock Hotel Rates (12.4km away)

Sheepstor Map