Shatan Hotel

Check Beijing Hotel Deals

Shatan Hotel Beijing Reviews

mosted mosted
Good location, rest is okay Aug 16, 2011
I stayed in this hotel in mid of August 2011.

### Location ###

The location is really good, its next to the northern part of the Forbidden City (Exit) and also to the Jingshan Park.

If you go out of the hotel and make a left, you will directly see the entrance to Jingshan Park. This park is a must-see, especially because of the view over the Forbidden city. So this might be a good choice to start your trip with.

The Shatan Back Street, where the hotel is located at, was kinda hard to find for some Taxi-Drivers, so be sure to take a Taxi Card or let him bring you to Jingshan Park East Side, thats also doing it. Easiest way is to ask for Dongsi, which is nearby - every taxi-driver knows it and from there you can walk.

The Shatan Back St. is very crowded, it first appears to be a little street but there are lots of stores, restaurants and street vendors, so you can get food and drinks everywhere. Its also great at nighttime, cause there are always people and you never feel alone or unsafe. At daytime, lots of chinese (!) tourist groups are passing by for some reason, so this street is very busy at almost all times. There are also cars and motobikes trying to find their way through, so kinda chaotic sometimes! ;-)

Only bad thing about the location is that theres no subway nearby, so you would have to walk awhile or take a taxi, which is the better decision IMHO.

Famous Wangfujing Rd. is reachable by foot, maybe a 15 Minute walk. I went there lots of times cause theres also the great night market with all the exotic food, such as scorpions.

### Room ###

The double-room was ok, nothing special but the bed was good. It was no double-bed though, two single beds. It was clean - only the carpet seemed pretty "used" :)

They dont have WiFi Access, only cable which is not very reliable. Its also kinda slow but enough for music (not Video!) streaming from Google Music China and for a (bad quality) Skype Conversation. But its okay! Internet didnt work on the first room so they gave me another one.

Bathroom was clean but always too little toilet paper :-) I asked for 2 pieces then.

### Service ###

Most important: Nobody could speak any english, only very rare. Check-In took a while, I was waiting 20 minutes and then my credit card was not working in their terminal for some reason. So I had to pay the deposit (which is common in China) cash, but I havent got so much with me. They said I could bring it another day. I tried to do so but the other woman wasnt speaking much english either and had no idea what I wanted to tell her, so I just didnt give them the rest of the deposit (was no problem at all in the end).

On my arrival I also asked for a doctor or hospital nearby, cause I didnt feel very well at this time. She printed out some address and said that I would have to get a taxi by myself...WHAT? She didnt really care about anything.

They also have 2 Internet Terminals in the lobby that are mostly blocked by kids!

### Cost ###

It was quite cheap with 280€ for 7 nights which is very good for this location.
Bed
Jingshan Park - View over Forbidde…
Shatan Back St.
Exit of the Forbidden City - 5 Min…
ariwardani ariwarda…
What a great place to stay! Mar 21, 2008
I stayed in Beijing Shatan Hotel for 5 days 4 nights on March 21-25, 2008. I booked 2 standard rooms, double bed, no window, each only costs me 398 yuan (around USD 61). Overall, we were satisfied with everything. This is a 3 star hotel but the facility is above the average of a 3 star hotel. I chose this hotel based on reviews on this site and I am so happy that my choice was right.

The bed, furnitures, TV, bathroom, all was in good condition, clean, and worked properly. Thank God they had HBO channel. Otherwise, we could not see the TV because all programs were in Chinese and China made their own programs. Unlike in Indonesia, none was adopted from abroad in here (i.e. National Geography, Grey's Anatomy, Oprah Winfrey etc).

I can see why some people complaint about ceiling and the bathroom because the ceiling was too low for them. For a person with heights of 2 metres and above, of course it feels like you are going into a cave. Also, the bath box was too small for Caucasian in average. For Asian like me (my height is 1.65 metres), the space is okay and enough.

I was also afraid because there was a comment about how hard the bed was (One of the reviewer in some internet sites said it was so hard as if you slept on the door) but I found that the bed was okay, nothing wrong, soft enough to have a good sleep. So, no worry about the bed.

The room we chose did not have a window so it is a bit strange for me. It was my first experience of staying in the room without window like that. But, on the other hand, I thought if we had windows, probably we would face a problem with noise coming from the street. So, maybe it is better not to have a window at all.

I agreed with other travellers about the carpet. It had stains here and there. It seems the cleaning service did not clean the carpet although every morning I saw a vacuum cleaner standing outside the rooms but I never heard it run.

I found all staffs has a limited English capability. When we told them about something, they just guessed what we want to say. Sometimes, they guessed wrongly. On the last day we stayed, the electricity was down in our room. So, my husband went down to the lobby to report that. In the lobby, instead of sending someone to fix the problem, the front desk just assumed that my husband wanted to check out. While he talked about the electricity, she kept repeating asking about "You want to check out?" "Do you want to check out?" over and over and she said "Okay, wait a moment" and then she process all the bills, ignoring my husband's intention of telling her about the electricity!

The bellboy could not speak English as well but the bell boy wearing the eyeglass was nice and always had a smile on his face.

The breakfast had many varieties enough for us to choose. As some reviewers said, the service was pretty slow in replenishing the empty plates. But, it did not bother us that much because so far we never in a situation where we were running out of everything. The taste was also great. Not spicy, tasteless, salty or whatever. It was just great.

The location was the greatest thing of this hotel. It was near a traditional market and a minimarket. If we need something, we just walked out from the hotel and bought everything easily. We loved to buy fruits from that market. The strawberries were big, red, sweet, fresh, and juicy. There was also some mangoes that were so tiny I wonder how to peel it off. If you wander along the street especially in the evening, you can feel the local atmosphere, the bustle of people, buyers and sellers made transactions, many things were displayed, and it was a nice experience for foreigners.

If you walked out the hotel and went left, you will find Jingshan Park in front of you. In Jingshan Park, you can climb the stairs to the top of the hill to see the whole Forbidden city. After go through Jingshan Park (paid 2 Yuan per adult and 1 Yuan per child above 2 yrs old), you can go on to Beihai Park (in adjacent to Jingshan Park) where there is a white Pagoda. From the hotel, you can also find Forbidden city easily by walking within 5 minutes. Just went left from the hotel untill you find a big road then turn left. There you go, the Forbidden city, North gate section; is in front of your face. Just cross the road and you can start your journey from there. So, you don't need to hire a tour and travel or taxi to go through this interesting places from the hotel. That would be saving money.

Well, I am sure that we will stay again in Beijing Shatan Hotel if we have a chance to visit Beijing again in the future. It was very value of money.
The restaurant for breakfast is at…
At the lobby.

Shatan Hotel Overview

The Shatan Hotel is nestled in the center of the city. Guests will find the Forbidden City and Jingshan Park within 5 minutes' walk from this Beijing accommodation. Other nearby attractions include Tienanmen Square and Wusi Avenue. The Beijing Shatan is located in close proximity to public transit lines. Public subways offer guests easy access to the international airport as well as to the many attractions and points of interest located throughout the city of Beijing.

Each of the guestrooms at the Beijing Shatan Hotel offers a wide selection of amenities for guests. Rooms include such amenities as LCD satellite televisions, complimentary high speed Internet access, dark wood furniture, and comfortable bedding. All rooms are climate controlled and offer private en-suite bathrooms.

Guests of the Shatan Hotel Beijing will discover that the area offers many shopping and dining options. Onsite amenities include a salon, a shopping area, a gaming area, and multiple restaurants. There are also bicycles for guest use.

Shatan Hotel Amenities

• Shoe Shine
  • Free Parking

Related Travel Blogs About Shatan Hotel

Arrival at Beijing, China
Finally, we were in Beijing, China. We arrived there at 20.10 local time. At the time we travelled, China will hold a big venue: an Olympic games in August 2008. We were too ahead from that schedule,…hotel, Beijing Shatan hotel in downtown. The hotel's name gave a bit uncomfortable feeling when we read it or say it because…
New destination: Hongkong
After having our last breakfast at Beijing Shatan Hotel, we went to the airport and take our flight to Hongkong. It was done by Dragon Air, the subsidiary of Cathay Pasific. The code of our flight wa…Beijing Shatan Hotel, we went to the airport and take our flight to Hongkong. It was done by Dragon…

Check Beijing Hotel Deals