Shark Diving Unlimited

Shark Diving Unlimited - The Cage

Shark Diving Unlimited Gansbaai Reviews

skinny_phil skinny_p…
Adrenaline Rush in Gansbaai Jul 25, 2014
Having been an avid fan of any sort of nature documentary, specifically ones containing sharks, it didn't take me long once old enough to take myself off to cage dive with Great Whites in South Africa.

Shark Diving Unlimited in Gansbaai is owned by the legendary Mike Rutzen or 'Sharkman'. A pioneer in changing people's views on these beautiful creatures, Mike is famous for his free diving with Great Whites. He has featured in many documentaries, including his own series - Sharkman.

Upon arriving in Gansbaai you can imagine my delight when the man himself stood on the steps overlooking the ocean, assessing the conditions.

A previous group returned whilst we waited to go out on the water and their excited chatter and discussion over pictures made for even more excitement!

After a brief talk on what to expect, we walked down the the docks and boarded the Barracuda. A 15 minute sail along the coast later and we closed in on a couple of buoys, which on closer inspection were attached to the cage. Within 2 minutes of pulling close to the cage a huge White appeared next to the boat. We were told to change into the wetsuits and jump in!

I ended up being first in the water. Poking your feet off the side of a boat whilst a Great White circles isn't the most natural feeling in the world, but once I was in the water I felt secure in the cage.

Shark Diving Unlimited uses the controversial method of 'chumming' in order to attract the Whites. It works quickly.

Visibility in the water was around 2 metres. So when a 15 foot Great White came hurtling towards the cage nose first it took me by surprise to say the least.

Groups of 6 are given 20 minutes or so at a time and then rotated to allow others their chance. Throughout Mike is watching and dishing out facts & stories and identifying each shark. All in all we saw around 3 or 4 Whites.

We went in August which is reportedly the best time to see the sharks, however it is South Africa's winter and the water is cold, more so because you're not swimming, you're stationary in a cage. Being from sunny England I coped well, however a few others did really struggle.

Upon return to base there is hot soup and breakfast for everybody as well as tea and coffee which can be enjoyed whilst watching a video of your experience.

10/10