Shangri-Las Rasa Ria Resort

Shangri-Las Rasa Ria Resort Kota Kinabalu Reviews

dylangwafa dylangwa…
Visit The Orang-Utans Jan 29, 2011
Shangri-la Rasa Ria Resort

Located at the majestic Malaysian Borneo in the shadows of the Mythic Mount Kinabalu

Before coming here I was expecting something not so great will happen you know the feeling when there's likea a gloomy cloud hanging around your head after going out of the airport?. We were actually picked up by a Hotel Driver who did not utter a single word! LOL I am the kind of person who likes to talk to Drivers when traveling well this hotel staff seemed unintrested!

we reserved a room on the Ocean wing we were promised a nice view. The arrival time in the resort was 8pm the traffic from the airport to the resort during those hours was really not so good! The lobby of the Ocean-wing was nice contemporary design and lots of nice art pieces. The check-in was brief and we were ushered to our room... The room was not so huge but it was fine, they have l'Occitane toiletries, given our status with shangri-la we noticed that as Golden circle members we were supoosed to get a few stuff upon arrival. We emmidiately called the reception asking for fruits news papers and magazines. We were surprised that we had like few pices of magostine when we arrived hahahaha I mean do we really have to call them and remind them of our previledges? it was a minor glitch never mind.

The rest of the holiday was fine though they have an espresso machine the capsules aren't for free.. always check out the price again i was suprised that it is being charge when normaly in other hotels its free!

The great feature for me was the Wild Life presrve were I get to see baby Orangutans sweet little creatures. I paid around 150 Malaysian Ringgit for the admission and it was great.. I also wanted to climb Mout kinabalu but the trek starts at 3am I cant do it..

The restaurants were also fine I think I liked the Naan indian restaurant they serve great Indian Food Coast was expensive but good during breafast.. I was told there are also a few Night life attractions in there but no chance to check on them!

The beach was massive the coastline is really big!

There are a few families on Holiday so there's were kids around!

All in all the Holiday was great but if i have to go to Kinabalu again i think its better i check other resorts You know the feeling when you expected somethig and the service fell short!
view from our room
the ocean wing reception
Elleah Elleah
A great retreat! Mar 22, 2011
A great resort, away from the city (~30min from Kota Kinabalu) so you can enjoy calm and peace. Has its own orangutan orphanage! Otherwise luxury rooms, great service, heavenly spa, a never ending beach. Went surfing and horse riding among other things. Has it all!
Eric says:
Thanks for sharing!
Posted on: Mar 22, 2011
LeighTravelClub LeighTra…
Feb 21, 2006
Shangri-La Rasa Ria Resort is just outside Kota Kinabalu and a 40 minute drive from the airport. Having it’s own nature reserve, the Rasa Ria overlooks the Panti Dalit Bay. The beach was beautiful but there are a couple of problems. Because of the eco policy of the hotel, they do not use any insecticides, which means that sand flies can be a huge problem. Also there are times of the year when jelly fish congregate in this bay. Most days there were too many jelly fish for us to swim in the sea. However, even considering these two issues, we loved this hotel. In the Rasa Ria nature reserve there is a small orangutan sanctuary.
Sunset from our balcony.
Beautiful beach.
Nature reserve at Rasa Ria.

Check Kota Kinabalu Hotel Deals