Shangri La Hotel Kuala Lumpur

Shangri La Hotel Kuala Lumpur Rates and Deals

Shangri La Hotel Kuala Lumpur Reviews

jemanderica jemander…
Mar 15, 2013
Excellent hotel - ten minutes walk from the Petronas Towers, a bit closer to the KL Tower. Very opulent and with lovely staff. One of the plushest big hotels that we have ever stayed at.
zenthoughts zenthoug…
Perfect hotel to use as base for a short introductory travel to KL May 12, 2012
When I was planning my inaugural travel to Southeast Asia that included KL and Singapore and was looking for places that are perfect for getting the quick taste and atmosphere of the city, I relied heavily on resources provided by TripAdvisor, Agoda and TravBuddy of course. At the end, for KL leg of the itinerary, I debated between Shangri La and Traders. I decided to stay at Shangri La based on its high ratings for breakfast and its somewhat secluded location away from the noise of the city. I wasn't disappointed with my choice. From the moment that I arrived at the hotel and moment that I checked out 3 days later, I was completely satisfied with services and amenities at the hotel.

I checked in close to midnight on my first day due to late arrival at KLIA. My trip to hotel from KLIA took about an hour using KLIA express to Central Station and a tax(voucher) ride to hotel from the station. I was given my room key within minutes and was able to fall asleep quickly on a large and comfortable bed. Being able to sleep well while you are traveling to different time zones is a must and any sleeping accommodations that can facilitate this, I think is a winner.

I booked the room with breakfast included so I had chance to try out the breakfast for 3 mornings and I must say that I enjoyed it every time. If you are eating buffet style hotel breakfast for more than a few days in a row, I recommend that you stick with one main cuisine each day and try not to indulge yourself too much trying out everything. Shangri La had pretty extensive buffet selections covering most of the local and international styles. I got to try most of them over the 3 days and they were mostly fresh and tasty with attentive staff.

As a base for exploring KL, the hotel was a perfect spot. I often came back to hotel after 2 -3 hours of excursions to KLCC, Bukit Bintang and KL Tower, all of them on foot and rested in the hotel lobby and other facilities in the hotel and it was a perfect place to relax and recharge yourself for next round of outings to venues close to the hotel.

Evening walk along the Jalan P Ramlee street right across from the hotel put me right in the middle of sounds and sights of active nightlife in KL with bars/nightclubs pulsating with music and trendy locals and tourists alike chatting over drinks/food. I grabbed a cold beer and spent an hour immersed in this universal human nightlife activity. The faces are different but if you close your eyes, you can easily be in one of the crowded bars in NYC, Seoul or Miami.

If you are looking for a sure thing that will provide the comfortable rest with most of the main attractions in the city within walking distance, then I'd say you cannot lose by spending a few nights at the Shangri La Hotel in Kuala Lumpur.

Also try an evening walk out in the garden. Even though I still have a small bite mark that is almost healed from an encounter with a local insect that I cannot recall, that is what I remember the most from this stay along with the coffee and pastries.
These are the treats that motivate…
The bed that gave me a good sleep
soonthiam says:
Well written Ben. Good photos too.:)
Posted on: May 12, 2012
bernard69 bernard69
Affordable top class hotel May 30, 2012
At the end of our trip,though fans of the Traders,I stayed two nights in a standard room on the 13th floor with a late check out at 6pm(50% rates)and wasn't disappointed.

My room was quite large,spotless clean featuring a large desk with plenty of connections(the free wifi was so so in my room),a large safe handy to put your laptop.The bathroom with bath and shower was classy and even provided an hairband!

We had our breakfast at the lobby level a lil too busy but offering a great variety of Malaysian,Indonesian,Chinese,American and continental food and even a gluten free station,chocolate fountains and...French cheese(their livarot was good).

We had a buffet dinner there and it was nice with a great variety of seafood,pastries...

As usual we didn't use the pool and the gym!

Great service.

If I come back,I would book a room with the Horizon Club to have a quieter though less varied breakfast...
momar42 momar42
Smack dab in the middle Nov 02, 2010
First off, a caveat: This is the first and only hotel I have stayed at in Kuala Lumpur so take it as it is.

The Shangri-La Hotel in KL lives up to its mythical namesake. The entrance to the hotel is immaculate and ornate and there are employees everywhere that are more than willing to offer help. Check in was a breeze and there are ample (and thankfully full-sized) elevators.

Room rates were very reasonable (100 USD range) and included breakfast and high speed internet, (though of a wired variety in the rooms. The breakfast is huge and all encompassing so by all means take advantage of it.

The in-room amenities are nice as well. Very good and configuable lighting, big comfy bed with down comforter. Nice desk for working with comfortable chair. LCD TV, wall mounted. Mini bar fridge and complimentary waters.

The bathroom is marble-like tiled with a large enclosed shower area. My room did NOT have a seperate bath tube, so it was shower only. No concern to me, but others my not care for it. Big mirror and sufficiently big sink for shaving. Freebies are the standard Soap/Shampoo/Lotion/Conditioner along with some toothbrushes and swabs.

I didnt have enough time to sample the Fitness center or pool area, but both were under renovation scheduled to complete in December of 2010. If the other features are any indication...they will be immaculate as well.

As for location...if you are interested in being near the Petronas or KL Tower, you would be hard pressed to be in a better spot. They are both within easy walking distance. Nightlife is abundant and close as well, with many bars being within a three block radius. Distance from the airport is a little far, but easily within my 30-45 minute drive ideal range.

Cabs are also abundant and the light rail system is fully in place as well.

All in all, when I return to KL, the Shangri-la will certainly be high on my list of places to stay.
Eric says:
Thanks for sharing your hotel review on TravBuddy!
Posted on: Nov 02, 2010
minx2812 minx2812
Expensive if you can afford it but great location Jul 15, 2008
WOW! What a place, expensive, but defiantly worth it if your prepared to pay it! The reception service was brilliant, friendly and fluent English, always a bonus when I'm really tired. They showed me to my room, and explained all the switches and buttons, showed me the mini-bar, bathroom, dressing gowns and slippers, also the room service menu and how then TV worked, pretty much everything actually except how to get undressed and get into one of the single beds in my twin room. But after my wonderful shower, with pulsating head and complimentary, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, toothbrush and toothpaste all I wanted to do was just that. Whilst in the shower I was even able to listen to BBC news from the built in speakers in the bathroom, repeating everything the TV was saying in the bedroom! (Never could work out where the speakers were hidden!) Once in bed the huge heavy duvet and fluffy soft pillow made sure I was asleep in seconds.

Next morning, well half one in the afternoon, I awoke and decided to open the curtains, outside my room all night had been Petronas Towers, just standing right there. It was too late in the day to do anything really so I decided there and then I was going to get my moneys worth out of this room. So had a swim in the bath whilst listening to the TV and wore my dressing gown and slippers around the room, ordering room service and reading all the free magazines and hotel guides. Found out that I can claim air miles for my stay so made a point of ringing reception to add these minor details, to ensure I got a little something extra out of staying. I went to the business center where I was provided a separate room to myself with computer, phone, printer and headed paper, notepads, pens, pencils and everything. It was better equipped than my desk at work had ever been!!!

I headed back up to the room after and stayed in bed before ordering room service again for dinner and falling back asleep till morning for my flight to the Philippines!

Defiantly a great place for a stopover!
My room
My room again
My View! Pleased with this!
gardkarlsen says:
Looks pretty nice. Thanks for the review. I hope to try out the hotel next time I go to KL :-)
Posted on: Dec 22, 2008

• Massage
  • Steam Bath
  • Barber/Beauty Shop
  • Beauty Salon
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Bathrobes