Shangri La Hotel Bangkok

Shangri La Hotel Bangkok Rates and Deals

Shangri La Hotel Bangkok Reviews

gardkarlsen gardkarl…
Another comfortable stay at Shangri-La Jun 18, 2012
I have had the pleasure of staying at Shangri-Lan Bangkok a couple of times. The first time was in October 2011 when I stayed in the Krung Thep wing and the second time in June 2012 when I stayed in the Shangri-La wing. In June 2012 I actually booked the hotel using my Golden Circle points as I was only staying one night. I chose the hotel as the location is pretty good and I am a Golden Circle member and like staying at Shangri-La/Traders hotels. I travel a bit for work and pleasure and I have stayed at various 4 and 5 star hotels around the world just to give you an idea about the background for this review.

The taxi from the airport cost about 400 Baht (including the 50 Baht airport tax) + the toll station fees of 70 baht. The reception at the hotel was great as always when coming to a 5 star hotel in Thailand. The staff took care of the luggage of course and we were taken to the reception where we got checked in and I got 1425. This time I was staying in the Shangri-La wing – the hotel has these two wings that both have stunning views of the Chao Phraya River.

The room was delicate as always at Shangri-La hotels – a neutral carpet, light wall paper, dark furniture, art on the walls etc. The centerpiece was as always, the over-sized king-sized bed which was quite comfortable. Apart from that there was a sofa by the window with a grand view of the river, a desk and chair and a flat screen TV mounted on the wall in front of the bed. As a Golden Circle member I was also greeted with a welcoming package on the room which is always a nice treat. The furniture under the TV hid a small fridge with a selection of drinks but as usual it is cheaper to buy this outside the hotel (one Coke is 160 Baht) . There is also complimentary water in the room.

The room also included a large wardrobe with hangers, ironing board, iron, a small safe, robes and slippers. The bathroom was also in line with other Shangri-La hotels that I have stayed at around the world…a combination of neutral marble tiles and dark tiles. The sink was in black marble finish and the bathroom also featured a bathtub, shower corner (with a proper glass door) and a toilet. The selection of amenities are not as extensive as when you stay at the club level but you still get a tooth brush, soaps, shampoo etc. When I checked in the duty manager came to greet me and said that I should get in touch if I had any additional requests – later on I did go to the front desk to ask if I could get the L’Occitane shower products and not the standard shower amenities as I love the small of the L’Occitane products. I know this is just for the club rooms but I was hoping the guy would give me a break as I’m a Jade member but apparently not ;-)

My friend stayed at the club level and at 5.30 PM he invited me to the Horizon lounge on the 24th floor for evening cocktails. The lounge has again a stunning view in many directions and there are lots of tables right by the windows. Here they had a small selection of snack and a pretty good selection of wine and drinks that we could enjoy while watching the sun go down over Bangkok.

Conclusion

Shangri-La Bangkok is a great hotel and it has a great standard as you will find in many other Shangri-La hotels in Asia. The room is lovely, the reception that you get at the hotel is great and if you stay at horizon level you will be able to enjoy breakfast and evening cocktails in the horizon lounge on the 24th floor. The hotel is located near the river so it is easy to get around by skytrain as it is located near Saphan Taksin skytrain station. But you can also easily take a river boat bus to go e.g. grand palace. If you want a great hotel and want to stay by the river in Bangkok, you should definitely check out Shangri-La as one of the options.
The bed was comfy
As a Jade member I get a welcome p…
View from my room
Sofa in the room with some fruit o…
hitzatak hitzatak
Amazing river views Jul 25, 2011
This place is just the place you'd visit to fall in love with Thailand and its people. The location is amazing as it's right next to the chao phraya river and there are many river cruises that will take you around to visit Bangkok's amazing 2000+ year old sites.

As for the hotel itself, not many will compare to how grand this place is. Everything is kept in immaculate cleanliness and the Thai staff are ultra hospitable.
LeighTravelClub LeighTra…
Sheer indulgence in Bangkok. Feb 20, 2010
This has to be one of the best places to stay in Bangkok. Lynda and I stayed here for two nights.It was just fantastic in all departments from the delightful check-in to the speedy check-out. We stayed in the Krungthep Wing, and as other reviewers have stated, this is definitely the only way to go. Afternoon tea was better than the Ritz or the Dorchester and the complimentary cocktails and canapés were just divine. Location is perfect, right on the river next to the BTS Sky Train and Central Pier, literally 3 mins walk form the Krungthep Wing.

The thing that really stands this hotel apart from others are the staff and the way they genuinely want to ensure you are having a great stay, particularly Mary, our personal butler. Overall I can not think of anything that needs improving and the only downside of our stay was that we were limited to only 2 nights at the end of a two week trip. We have stayed at several other five star hotels in Bangkok, and although they were also very good, in my mind, Shangri-La wins every time.

Pay the extra and stay in the Krungthep wing.
Our room at Shangri La, Bangkok.
Our room at Shangri La, Bangkok.
worldup worldup
5 Star on the River Mar 23, 2010
Excellent Location on the river.

Easy to get around Via Tuk Tuk or taxi. Taxi avail at entrance. To get a tuk tuk, just walk down the road a bit and hail one.

The Thai Restaurant on the banks of the river is fantastic.

Our room was in the main tower. The rooms are excellent and the views are spectactular.

We also ate at the chinese restaurant in the hotel. It was also very good. We normally would not have eaten there but it was a free meal.

The service is very good and all personel are helpful.
view
bed
view across river
nolan nolan
Great view of the Chao Phraya River Apr 30, 2008
I didn't get to stay a full day at the Shangri La Hotel Bangkok as I took the last flight out from Manila, arrived late in the evening and caught up with friends who were leaving for Siem Reap the following morning.

Had a few hours to check out the ballroom (where they were having an event) and the poolside area in the morning for the views of the Chao Phraya.

For sure the bed was excellent as I had the most uneventful sleep, meaning I slept soundly.

Since I didn't stay for the rest of the day to enjoy the facilities, we just left with the concierge the bulk of our suitcases since these would be difficult to bring on the long trip by land to the border at Aranyaprathet, then on to Siem Reap via Poipet.

The location wasn't so much of a plus at that point since I didn't get to go to the shopping areas nearby. Perhaps on a future trip, as this hotel has fantastic views of the river and would make a great place to lounge and enjoy a quieter side of Bangkok.
facade of Shangri La Bangkok
Shangri La Bangkok
lounge area, Shangri La Bangkok
lounge area, Shangri La Bangkok
spocklogic says:
Wow - Just as I clicked on your review the Three Dog Night song "Shambala" came on the radio. A bit of Eastern mysticism in song to go along with reading here. Seems a nice hotel with a bit of ambiance - good review!
Posted on: Nov 19, 2012
stevemco stevemco
One of the best Hotels in Bangkok! Aug 31, 2007
The hotel is conveniently located on the river and within walking distance to public transportation. I’m not a big buffet lover but the breakfast was outstanding.
Amanda Amanda
Nov 19, 2004
This beautiful hotel right on the banks of the Chao Phraya River was our home away from home for 4 nights in November of 2004. There are two different wings of the hotel, the main wing (called the Shangri-La Wing) and the Krungthep Wing, which is supposed to be a little nicer and fancier.

We got the original room on Pricelinefor $60 a night, (wow!) and then called in and upgraded to the Krungthep Wing for about $20 a night more - VERY WORTH IT!!!

Really, if you stay at this hotel, make sure you stay in the Krungthep Wing; it's amazing. Every single room has a private balcony that is over the Chao Phraya River, and sitting out there any time of the day is a true joy. The entrance to the Krungthep wing is directly next to the Skytrain station, which is by far the best, cheapest, and easiest way to get around the city.

The hotel can also arrange for a personal boat ride through the back canals of Bangkok, and that was wonderful; and they did it for a great cost, I think it was $20 total for all three of us, for about 3 hours. Fantastic. We also took advantage of their drivers service to and from the airport, which was a huge help to us, and a reasonable price.

Please contact me if you want anymore info on this great hotel, it was wonderful.
gardkarlsen says:
Sounds nice...hope to stay there one day :-)
Posted on: Dec 22, 2008

• Excursions
  • Garden
  • Squash Courts
  • Nightclubs
  • Tennis Courts (outdoor)
  • Computer
  • Massage
  • Steam Bath
  • Barber/Beauty Shop
  • Beauty Salon
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Bathrobes