Shanghai Hotel Jin Jiang

Shanghai Hotel Jin Jiang Rates and Deals

Shanghai Hotel Jin Jiang Reviews

mfmcp1982 mfmcp1982
Not your typical hostel... Aug 18, 2004
This is not a hostel in the strictest sense of the name. It used to be a grand hotel - Charlie Chaplin and Einstein stayed here - and it still is, but it seems like the staff rooms or larger rooms have been converted into dorms. I chose to stay in a 5 bed girls only room because I was on my own, but there are larger ones too. On my last day I ran into some of the others I'd been teaching with and they were in a 15 bed dorm - all fold up camp beds, very squashed in and with one bathroom between them. Everything was very clean though, and the character of the building was quite special. Each floor also has a key minder, who you have to leave your key with and collect it when you get back in.

It was more expensive than other hostels - but I think everything in Shanghai is more expensive than in the rest of China! It was well worth the extra cash - as I say, because I was on my own, I was happier in a smaller room. The room itself had a large main room, and a small side room, where my bed and one other were. There was a large colour TV in the main room, which also had an elaborate traditional fire place. The beds were VERY COMFORTABLE which was a blessing! It was also an en suite room - a great power shower and western toilet. Bed linen is included.

There's a bar which serves food, where I ate one night - bog standard stuff, pizzas and burgers, but that was fine for me! It wasn't jumping at night, which was also nice, probably because a lot of the hotel is a proper hotel rather than a hostel.

There's a laundry at the hotel, with an attendant who does everything for you. I had a real struggle explaining to her that everything could be tumble dried (woo, first drier in 2.5 months) apart from my jeans and bras! I had to kind of mime to her but she got it right, and everything came back to me pressed and folded - it was very reasonable, and a definite improvement on the hostel in Xi'an where the drying lines were stretched out over the roof and everything came off with soot on it!

There is an internet room but it is VERY EXPENSIVE by Chinese standards, even by other places in Shanghai - I only used it briefly when I couldn't be bothered going out to anywhere else.

There's a mini mart just along the street for soft drinks and snacks, and Shanghai has so many places to eat you'll not be stuck.

As for the hostel overall, I loved it. Totally different experience, the staff were friendly and helpful: I had to change my flight tickets at the Emirates office on Nanjing Road and they wrote the address out in Chinese so I could show the taxi driver. They also found out times of the airport shuttle bus for me, leant me an umbrella and confirmed my flights.

There was building work going on when I was there, but you only heard it outside the building! I think I could hear it in the others room, but that didn't bother me!

I think the Pearl Tower is nearby, but I didn't get to it.

So I'd highly recommend the Pujiang - it's in a great location (5 mins walk to the Bund), lots of character and you're bound to make friends!
The Pujiang Hotel (formerly the As…

Shanghai Hotel Jin Jiang Overview

Located in Hongkou District, the Shanghai Hotel Jin Jiang is a perfect base while in Shanghai. The hotel offers a tour desk and a fitness centre as well as a sauna, conference room(s) and a 24 hour reception. Shanghai city centre is within an easy 10 minute drive from the hotel.

The Shanghai Hotel Jin Jiang caters for families with children offering babysitting / child services. Other facilities available to guests include a concierge, a business centre and a beauty salon. Bank of Shanghai Headquarters, Bocom Financial Towers and Super Brand Mall are within a 20 minute drive from the hotel.

Shanghai Hotel Jin Jiang Amenities