Shalimar Indian Restaurant

Sairee Village, Koh Tao, Thailand

Shalimar Indian Restaurant Koh Tao Reviews

sherrybaby86 sherryba…
Reasonable prices and tropical Indian Inspired gardens! Oct 02, 2011
My friends and I visited Koh Tao for 10 nights, and out of these 10 nights, I think we spent at least 6 at this Indian Restaurant.

It is located on the main road heading into Sairee Village on the right-hand side of the road. Surrounded by big concrete walls, it is hard to miss, and offers privacy and seclusion once inside. There are two massive trees located inside the grounds, so all areas of the restaurant are shady - great for those hot and sunny summer days. The garedn is Indian inspired, yet also very tropical.

Shalimar is not just an Indian restaurant, it is also a shisha and cocktail bar (which is the main reason we came here). Shisha prices are not as cheap as in Bangkok, but still reasonable compared to other places, and they have a wide selection of flavours available. They also have a separate menu just for their cocktails and drinks, more variety than other places on the island - they even had amaretto! They have happy hour also, where you can get 2 for the price of 1 cocktails each afternoon! My friends and I never actually ate here, so I cannot recommend any of the food.

They have separate areas for patrons - one area for people wanting meals and drinks, and another for people who just wish to have shisha and drinks - smart idea so people who dont want to be bothered with shisha smoke don't have to be. The shisha/cocktail area is very relaxed and informal, with big beanbags on the ground and lowered tables. There were also alot of fairy lights lit up around the place, but this may have just been for the Christmas holidays. The restaurant area has proper tables so people can eat comfortably. Both areas are outdoors yet undercover and protected by the rain.

The lady who owned the place was very friendly, and an Indian herself. We saw her having lots of friendly chats to other patrons, and other 'regulars'. Service was reasonably quick and staff were always smiling and happy.

As with every place, there were a few downsides - there seemed to be a lot of cockroaches running around, and we had to keep scaring them away.

If I ever return to Koh Tao, I will be frequenting here again! :)
shalimar indian restaurant