Shalimar Hotel

Shalimar Hotel Rates and Deals

Shalimar Hotel Colombo Reviews

gingerbatik gingerba…
Good place in Colombo May 18, 2013
I booked this hotel through booking.com and within the next couple hours I received an email from the hotel offering an airport transport service with a fee. From this email I realized that this hotel is really good and looking after their guests well despite the mix reviews from the previous guest I read from the booking.com. Unfortunately the airport transfer service fee is much higher than the other limousine service offer from the airport. Hence I decline the offered and opt for airport taxi.

My flight landed at 3.30am Colombo time and I took the airport limousine service and it was quick ride from the airport to the hotel which takes less than one hour and the driver was friendly and recommended places to visit. The hotel door was closed at the wee hour, but there is a bell outside and when I ring the bell, two securities man come over and open the door for me. Since it is early in the morning, no manager or receptionist on duty and the security man said that someone still in my room at this hour (around 5 am) and he advised me to go upstairs and waiting at the upstairs waiting room and the manager will come in at 6 am and he will allocated another room for me.

Five minutes to six, the manager comes and he gives me the room straight without waiting for the usual check in time at 12pm. The air condition room is huge with one big bed, 2 chairs and table, dressing room with another chair, and en-suite bathroom, but no refrigerator in the room. Half of the wall in my room actually window, unfortunate the windows facing the restaurant so I didn’t really open it and just let it shut during my stay (so not much view here). The advantage of this, the room is very quite and I couldn’t hear traffic noise outside as the hotel located right at the busy street. Downside of this is I couldn’t see the view from the room. The room is clean and cold with air condition, but no air condition in the lobby or restaurants. The staff asks if I want the room get clean the next day, but since I am tidy and the room still clean, I decline the offered.

This hotel is an old building but I really like it as it has it is own charm and characters. I like the winding stairways and the courtyard at the upstairs restaurant which full with flower pots.

The entire employee in this hotel is male, the manager and other staff are very friendly, helpful, and polite, give advice what to see and do and showed me Maradana train station which located just around the corner around 5 minutes walk from the hotel. When it was raining, the hotel also provided umbrella for me to used free of charge. I feel safe in this place even most of the guest and employees area male.

I had lunch one time at the hotel restaurant (upstairs) but I didn’t try the downstairs restaurant which looks quite busy at night time. Unfortunately the food was not that good and the price is higher than other hotel, and it charge additional 22% tax on top of the bill. I would definitely recommend this place if you are on budget and want a nice room
bedroom
chair in the bedroom
shower
gingerbatik gingerba…
Shalimar Hotel Restaurant May 18, 2013
I only tried the lamb curry here as it is easy for me to have lunch there instead of going out to other place as I have an appointment with someone to meet in this hotel.

The staff are very friendly and all males (no females employee by the way) and very willing to please and helpful. The food arrives quickly but the portion is quite small and the curry seems very runny and not much taste except saltiness and the lamb was chewy and too much fat. The rice was cold and the portion is ridiculously huge compare with the meat. It is quite shame really as I am in the country where curry is their nation dish and this is not the best curry I ever have. The pineapple juice was fresh, sweet and tasty. Overall, I wouldn’t eat here anymore as plenty of restaurants to explore and the price are quite expensive for that kind of dish.
inside the restaurant
inside the restaurant
the courtyard
gingerbatik says:
yes, penang curry was good. didn't try the curry in Myanmar.
Posted on: May 22, 2013
Cho says:
Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the meal at this restaurant. I love curries but didn't find the curries in Sri Lanka very tasty. The best curries I had were in Penang, Malaysia, and at Indian and Muslim restaurants in Myanmar.
Posted on: May 22, 2013

Shalimar Hotel Overview

The Shalimar Hotel is located in Colombo making it one of the best hotels to stay at while in town.
All the modern facilities are available in all of the hotel's 30 rooms.
Room amenities include mini bar, television, non smoking rooms, air conditioning.
This beautiful Colombo accommodation provides coffee shop, restaurant, laundry service/dry cleaning to suit all guests' utmost convenience.
This hotel is characterized by a combination of modern comfort and traditional element of Colombo, making it a distinct accommodation.
To book a room easily at the Shalimar Hotel, please submit your travel dates and proceed with our secure online booking form.

Shalimar Hotel Amenities

• Coffee / Tea Maker
  • TV
  • Laundry service
  • Desk
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower