Shady Grove

www.theshadygrove.com - (512) 474-9991

Shady Grove Austin Reviews

yadilitta yadilitta
Fun outdoor and pisco drink in Austin - Shady Grove Jan 02, 2009
While I was in Austin, Kenneth suggested me to join his friends to one of the places they like the most and usually visit to relax, have a couple of drinks, just hang out. He mentioned the name: "Shady Grove" but it wasn't until I was back in Lima, that I was realized another TB has recommended me to visit it when I was in Austin.

We went there for a couple of drinks and diner. Shady Grove reflects Austin's appreciation of the outdoors and entertainment. It was so great to sit under a pecan tree on the patio, while we enjoyed our drinks. This place is packed during the whole year all the time. It's one of the favorites in Austin and now I know why. I've been told sometimes they have live music here - cool!

If you want to eat here, the food is really good, homemade style fun food. They are specialized in Texmex. Of course they would serve you a lot of chips and salsa and keep your glasses full of water all the time. The dining area is also outdoor. It has a laid back, hippie style, so adorable! I love their decoration. I was in the mood of veggies and found the Veggie Kebabs, which were delicious! Kenneth got the "Shady Grove Nachos", which were under appetizers, but were more than enough for one.

Regarding drinks you can't leave the place without trying the signature drink: "Shady Thang" which amazed me, not only because of the fresh taste - almost like a frozen Margarita - but also because it has pisco! and pisco is a Peruvian liquor, haha.

The staff is friendly and although they can be busy, they will try to do their best. Usually the place is packed, so if you can do a reservation, it'd be a good idea. But waiting under a tree, just zipping your drink and chatting with friends doesn't sound bad at all to me :)
view from the road
the menu
Shady Thang! Pisco, vodka, triple …
cool atmosphere
lonlee2 lonlee2
Casual Cool Aug 03, 2008
Shady Grove is one of the places in Austin I just don't go to enough. Located near Zilker Park on Barton Springs Road, it has plenty of outdoor seating, huge oaks and numberous misters to keep the place cool. And if that doesn't do the trick, they have scads of iced beverages to help ease your thirst at one of the two bars (one inside, one out). My favorite is the "Shady Thang". A twist on the Pisco Sour, it has pisco, vodka, triple sec and lots of lime juice. YUMMY! The food there is always good and the waitstaff is pretty reliable for a place that gets ALOT of traffic. Especially on a day like Saturday when we went. A sunny, warm (or in our case HOT!) day folks will come in droves for the salads and light meals you can get there. I met up with my friends (and fellow TBers) Cristina and Carlos for a late lunch. Cristina got the Caesar Romero Salad a nice big bowl of creamy caesar with loads of romaine hearts and strips of red peppers. I ordered a bowl of the Green Chile and Chicken soup which was great! Nice and spicy!! And I also got the Green Chile Cheeseburger. Which obviously had a nice carmelized green chile sauce and pepperjack cheese. The burger was cooked perfect, with that singed edge. You know what I'm talking about! Shady Grove is a nice relaxing, beat hye heat kind of place. Check it out!
The Shady Grove. An Austin origina…
Hidden amongst the oak grove.
Don't feed the bear!
Oasis among the oaks!
yadilitta says:
sounds good!!!! I want to try that drink with Pisco, hehe. Definitely I'd like to visit there when I'm back in Austin ;)
Posted on: Aug 03, 2008