Shadow Pines Alpaca Farm

181 Purgatory Rd, Exeter, RI, USA

Shadow Pines Alpaca Farm Exeter Reviews

HuBison HuBison
Alpacas are curious creatures and I had never seen one in real life-here was my chance! Nov 18, 2010
Shadow Pines is a small family-run farm in Exter (central RI, about 30 minutes south of Providence). The owners became interested in alpacas in bought their first one in 2003. There have about 17 now and the oldest one is about 10 years old (the youngest one was 2 weeks old when I went to visit).

I happended upon this farm when looking up things to do in Rhode Island. It was my last to-do on my way to the airport. I'm not sure if they have formal hours or events, but from the info I had, I arrived half an hour before they closed. When I pulled into the driveway, I saw a house, 2 large fenced in areas and a barn. I think I was expecting a more formal set-up.

I got out of the car and immediately, one of the alpacas started walking towards me. In my head, I imagined him saying to himself "oh look, a human come to watch me, I wonder if she's got food, let me walk over there and see". I had confused them with llamas and just presumed he was going to spit, but after a few minutes, the owners came out, met me and explained that alpacas don't really spit.

They all came up to the fence and I looked at them as curiously as they looked at me. When we walked, they all followed. Watching a small group of alpacas is like watchng a fish tank, it's very calming.

They are a little jealous; you rub one and a few come over and trapple each other to be rubbed. Another was gumming a metal pipe like a teething infant and the rest were content to eat. The females, the young males, and the older males are kept separate and are in a variety of colors (white, brown, and 1 black one).

Contact the farm before you visit. It could be as short as a 5 minute visit or half an hour. It was something completely different and original to do.
"Hmm, hi lady, do you have any foo…
Hi alpaca