Sevilla Cathedral

www.catedraldesevilla.es - 954 56 31 50 / 954 56 33 21 / 954 21 49 71

Sevilla Cathedral Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Sevilla Cathedral Oct 10, 2011
The Cathedral of Seville is one of the largest in the world. Built on the site of a mosque, and incorporating the minaret tower (remodelled into the Giralda) and the patio from the mosque into one of the highpoints of medieval church architecture, this is a real must-see for anyone visiting Seville.

The church is full of detailed side chapels, fantastic art (including a Goya) and more silver and gold alterpieces than I have ever imagined in one place. So much ornate art work can be a little overwhelming, so take your time on the visit. You can see the tomb of Christopher Columbus, some amazing carving, and just take in the sheer size of the building.

The Giralda is the former minaret, with a Christian bell tower added later. Accessed by ramps rather than stairs (apparently to get horses up?), this is a relatively easy 90m climb with lots of interesting displays of mason's tools, original clocks and bells in the rooms on the way up. The view from the top is wonderful.

Entrance is about 7.50 Euros (October 2011), with concessions including students under 25.
wanschek wanschek
Absolute must See Apr 17, 2011
7.50 euro to get in and 3 Euro for the audio guide.

The cathedral is an absolute must see. It is the 3rd largest in the world and is home to the remains of Christopher Columbus and his brother. You will want to set aside atleast 2 to 3 hours if you want to see everything this cathedral has to offer.
Vipin Vipin
Sevilla Cathedral Nov 12, 2010
Entrance fee - 7.50 Euros, concessions for pensioners, unemployed, Sevilla residents and students.

Standing as the world's largest gothic churches, the worl'd third largest cathedral and home to a 45-biblical-scene altarpiece, Sevilla Cathedral is no stranger to setting high standards. Located in the heart of Sevilla, the cathedral has an impressive facade and is beautifully decorated within as well.

Originally serving as the site of a mosque, the site made way for a grand church from the fifteenth century onwards.

The main altarpiece is composed of 45 biblical scenes. It is huge, intricate and fascinating; however, it is a little bit over the top and was slightly vulgar for my liking.

The exhibitions and art collection located at the fringes of the church are impressive and comprehensive. I am surprised they show quite so many artefacts and paraphernalia.

The tower, or the Giralda, is very impressive and you can climb up the stairs as part of the entrance fee. Even if you get a little breathless, there are plenty of windows dotted uup the tower which make perfect rest stops to enjoy the view and catch your breath back! Also, the views from the roof and close ups of the bells are pretty cool too. The steps are wide and comfortable for a church of this age, so there should be little concern if you are in fairly good shape.

Small point, but they do have excellent toilet facilities too, which is the first I have seen at a church of any kind! You also get a free sweet as you enter too, which was sweet (forgive the pun!).

Sevilla Cathedral must be the top tourist site of the city, and deservedly so. Well worth seeing.

Related Travel Blogs About Sevilla Cathedral

All Paths lead to . . .
I couldn't believe that I was on my way back to Sevilla and I had the luxury of 24 hours to spend in this pretty city! I texted my friend Eduardo (remember when I arrived in Sevilla for the first tim…Sevilla as possible. My first stop was to be the Real Alcazar followed by the Cathedral and accompanying Giralda…
They are as crazy as they wanted to be
Sunday. Since I couldn't find an English-language church in Sevilla, I slept in. After a late breakfast, I admitted to Jeff that I need a " Kelly" day -- just me, on my own. As much as I adore that…Sevilla cathedral. Rumor has it, that when they decided to replace the mosque there with a church, they said…
Do Angels drive Tractors ?
I have now completed the first 55 km but firstly let me backtrack a little to set the scene. Yesterday morning I set off from Eduardoś at 6.30am arriving at the Sevilla Cathedral at 7.15, although t…Sevilla Cathedral at 7.15, although these first 3km do not count - just a warmup. After accosting a bewildered passer…

Check Sevilla Hotel Deals