Sergio's Restaurant

13600 SW 152nd Street, Kendall, FL, USA

Sergio's Restaurant Kendall Reviews

eurowestgirl eurowest…
Jan 12, 2007
Quite possibly the best Cuban food in Miami, Sergio's has several locations in and around Miami. You'll almost always find Cubans and more waiting at the open window ordering cafe cubano or croquetas at any time of the day or night. My fiancé’s family members are Cuban food connoisseurs, being Cubans themselves. They rank Sergio’s as the best food in Miami, the closest to home cooked Cuban food. Don’t go expecting bells and whistles, as this is straightforward Cuban food much like an abuelita prepares it.

Our favorite location is about 16 miles southwest of the city in an area called Kendall. The outside looks rather like a diner, while the inside is warm and homey with wooden booths along the wall. The waitresses know my fiancé’s family since his father gets breakfast there nearly every day. Even my fiancé and I eat there at least several times a week every time we visit. The food is simple and delicious. The croquetas (ham, not chicken) are best eaten with a splash of lime juice. Sergio’s offers a soup of the day, and I think on Wednesdays you can get their deliciously hearty sopa de platano (plantain soup).

Sergio’s offers about 20 different sandwiches, of which almost all are prepared on the toasted slices of savory Cuban bread. If you love croquetas, you must try the pan de croqueta! Several croquetas are smooshed on a bed of ham and toasted Cuban bread.

When I’m in the mood for something more than a sandwich, which is rare, I get the masitas de puerco with a side of platanos maduros (fried ripe plantains) and rice and beans. The pork is roasted in a tangy mojo with onions. In fact, just thinking about it makes my mouth water! ;0) I also order the lechón asado, which is a succulent pork also roasted in mojo. My fiancé’s family often orders it for carry out so we can take it to the beach and make pan con lechón (roasted pork sandwiches) for lunch. Talk about terrific beach food!

All the Cuban dishes (boliche, ropa vieja, pollo a la plancha) are all great. Actually, according to my fiance, "They're all either great or the best. That's the spectrum."

The only menu item that I don’t rave over is the tres leches. I get the feeling they buy it from a wholesaler, as it’s presented in a plastic bowl with perfect whipped cream icing. It’s not bad by any means, but if you’re looking for tres leches to die for, then go to La Carreta (locations in and around Miami).

I highly recommend that you stop by the nearest Sergio’s when you’re in Miami and eat to your heart’s delight!!
We took my best friend to Sergio's…

Check Kendall Hotel Deals