Things to do in Semporna Feb 24, 2010
There is nothing much there except for Diving.
There is no sightseeing but there are things you can basically visit when you are there especially you are an adventure/diver:
1. Sipadan Island or Malay call as Pulau Sipadan which is the most famous island. Can't stay, just for diving.
2. Kapalai Island - can't see a beach coz the whole resort is on a piece of big rock. Pretty awesome!
3. Mabul Island (2nd famous island nearby Sipadan)
4. Mataking Island and etc. Most of it meant for snorkeling & Diving. If you don't have diving licence, you can actually take it there but I guess you need a week coz you need to go through training & exams.
1. NONE but you can request someone to send to you BUKIT TENGKORAK (Skull hill). It a historical place but you can't see skeleton nor any historical stuff but you can climb the straircase and you will see some SEMPORNA VIEW.
(Make sure you bring umbrella- it's very hot!)
2. LEPA Water Festival. This is normally in April. It's a boat contest. Locals will decorate thier boat.
3. If you are lucky and can get someone to send you to have a look on seaweed plantation,(Eucheuma - Kappaphycus alvarezii) its a good knowledge. It is grown organic. You can even have a taste of it but not on spot, buy those that has been process.
There is also seaweed process factory where you can see how does it process. This kind of seaweed is good for skin(just hear, not sure the fact). I only know it is use as food stabilizer & cosmetic. So, the lipgross/lipstick we use contain this seaweed.
3. Fish Market - you can see how the local sell fish/vegetable. You can see different fish but it is very smelly, so beware & becareful with pickpocket.
Place to eat:
Any restaurant will do. Malay restaurant normally HALAL and Chinese, some are Halal 2 coz the population there majority Malay but you can't find vegetarian.
Seafood is everywhere but if you want a 5 star feeling, go to:
1. Semporna Holiday Resort, a bit outskirt from the city.
2. Semporna Ocean Tourism, in the waterfront area.
These 2, can you enjoy by sitting there eating with ocean breeze.
If too hot, you can look for a aircon place. KFC maybe.
For those who don't mind eating local food:
You can go behind Seafest Hotel and there is BBQ fish stall. Just pick your fish and they will serve you with rice & padi chili sauces.
Make sure you ask for the price before order.
How to eat:
You can use hand/spoon.
Take some of the fish meat, dip the padi chili sauce (padi chili+onion+shallot+light soya sauce), put on the rice and scoop the whole thing and eat.YUMMY......!!!!!!! For foreigner might be a bit spicy. :P
Where to buy there:
1. Basic necessity - they have Watson or Milimewah & Giant. You also can go small groceries shop but close on 5pm.
2. Souvenier - you can just walk around the shop and you'll see. You can buy some seashell/pearl/moonstone and etc but please do bargain.
1. I don't think there is a money changer. You need to change in bank. They have Maybank.
1. Pickpocket (Anyone that accidently bang/knock/hit you, check your wallet immediately)
2. Ignore kids asking money from you.
3. Ignore those kids looking at foreigner and saying " I love you" to you coz that the only words they know how to say to foreigner.
We don't have tipping and not encourage tipping.
Hope those who going this place, can have a slight understanding on what to do and where to go.
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Related Travel Blogs About Semporna
Off to Semporna for some more diving!|
Today we were up early again, this time to catch the bus to Semporna which was leaving the terminal at 7:30am. I grabbed a quick breakfast of 3 doughnut type things for less than $1 and grabbed a sea…Semporna which was leaving the terminal at 7:30am. I grabbed a quick breakfast of 3 doughnut type things…
Travel Day to Semporna, Borneo, Malaysia|
After a quick 2 hours of sleep, I was awake before my alarm was to go off at 4:30am. By 4:45 I was in a cab and made it to the airport just under two hours before we were due to depart. I wanted to g…Semporna. After looking around and expecting a sign with my name on it and finding no one, I went…