Selexys Dominicanen Bookstore

Dominikanerkerkstraat 1, Maastricht, Netherlands

Selexys Dominicanen Bookstore Maastricht Reviews

alexandra_h alexandr…
Devine books Jan 23, 2012
After my visit to Porto, nearly one year ago, I realized that there is a top 10 of the most beautiful bookstores of the world.

I thought Livraria Lello in Porto would be the most impressive shop, but according to the Guardian, there are 9 others! And the most beautiful one of them all is only an hour or two drive from my hometown!

The new mission was created: I must visit Maastricht city and it's bookstore as soon as possible. The other 8 I saved in my travel to do list.

# 1 Boekhandel Selexyz Dominicanen in Maastricht

My very first visit to Maastricht took place in October last year. It was a very spontaneous trip. Unfortunately I was all alone and couldn't share this experience with anyone. It was definitely not bad, because I knew where to go and that I would not get bored.

Completely unprepared in Maastricht, I found the tourist information center immediately. The staff clearly explained to me how I can find the most beautiful bookshop. And there I was, finally!

The shop is actually a church with a new function. People do not come for God here, they enrich their reading or they drink and eat some.

The interior is fantastic. Despite to the floors and bookshelves, the architecture of this church isn't lost. The new elements are well placed so that the old nuances like frescoes, ceiling, arches, and everything can still be seen. The store itself is well and clearly divided.

All topics are easy to find and from every single you have a great view, especially if you are on the last floor and you're looking at the apse.

At the apse a nice cafe is placed. It is wise to come to sit there, to rest and recharge yourself and then return to the books. The menu here is very good. There are delicious and fresh cakes, great range of tea and coffee. Cheese and carrot cakes, chaipuccino and home made ice tea are tasty! No, I have not tasted everything in one visit.

This shop is like a museum where you look around, drink coffee and leave with a souvenir or a book in this case.
Ground Floor