Segundo Muelle

Av. Isabel la Catolica N24-88 y Gangotena, Quito, Ecuador

Segundo Muelle Quito Reviews

geerbox geerbox
Delicious Peruvian Ceviche in Ecuador Mar 18, 2010
I was doing research on where to eat in Panama for an upcoming trip and found out that Segundo Muelle, a famous and delicious Peruvian restaurant was in Panama and also Quito!!! I’ve been to Lima many times and I love the food there, especially the seafood emphasizing on ceviche. Segundo Muelle is on of the best in Lima so it’s not a huge surprise that the chef started restaurants in other countries. I’ve been living in Ecuador for a year and a half and I’m on a never-ending search for great food. I knew this place would be great as long as the quality was the same as in Lima. I was hoping the menu would be similar too, as well as the preparation of the ceviche. There is a quite a difference between Peruvian and Ecuadorian ceviches, really Peruvian ceviche is different than anywhere else I’ve tried and in my opinion it’s superior to the rest.

I found a day that would work for me to try out the restaurant so I called a friend to see if she wanted to join and she did it. I arrived to the restaurant first but forgot to take outside photos. My friend arrived and we were ready for a pisco sour! I had the maracuya (passions fruit) sour and she had the traditional pisco sour. My friend is from Guayquil and has been working in Quito lately. She was recently at Segundo Muelle and said it was great! I told her I have eaten at one in Lima and loved it!

We looked at the menu and it seemed very similar to Lima but I couldn’t remember if it was 100% equal or not. I knew I was going to have ceviche anyway so there was no worry for me. I ordered a traditional ceviche, I can’t remember the exact name. My friend ordered a dish not on the menu?? When she was here before, it was at night and a friend of hers ordered a dish and she wanted it for lunch today. No problem said the waiter. She ordered corvina cooked in a cheese sauce and then topped with more cheese. I can’t remember the name of this dish either. As we waited for our food, we decided to have another pisco, but this time we switched flavors. She wanted a maracuya and I wanted a traditional.

The decoration of the restaurant is similar to the one in the San Isidro area of Lima. It was mostly white colors with large windows, making it bright inside. There was a nice bar, not very big, and also a second floor with dining tables up there as well. The waiters, almost 100% male, were very quick and helpful, much like the great service you find in Lima. From my experience in Ecuador up to this point, the service has not been that great so this was a pleasant surprise. Our food was served quickly and I guess the pisco was working because I forgot to take photos of the food :( My ceviche looked and tasted great! It was the real Peruvian ceviche I was missing sooo much! It was a mixto so it had big fish pieces, calamari, octopus, and shrimp. Ahhh, sooo tasty! My friend’s plate was nicely prepared and the fish was delicious. It was accompanied with rice and some veggies and they were generous with the cheese on the fish. The meal was great and we decided to have another pisco to finish off our time together.

The prices of the plates are similar to Lima, not for the budget traveler. I spent around $10 for the ceviche and my friend’s plate was a little more. The piscos were not cheap either, maybe $8 each. For me it was totally worth it. The food was great and the drinks too plus the great service and nice atmosphere. I will be back to Segundo Muelle, maybe Quito or Lima or better yet, both ;)
Main dining area
mslellen says:
Congrats on the feature! :D
Posted on: Apr 20, 2010
montecarlostar says:
Excellent review and congrats on your feature Shawn!! :D
Posted on: Apr 18, 2010
geerbox says:
Thanks Mark! The food was great and I will go back soon :)
Posted on: Apr 13, 2010