Seafood gallery

Akureyri, Iceland

Seafood gallery Akureyri Reviews

mainhart mainhart
BEST FISH EVER!!! Aug 19, 2011
The Seafood Gallery is located just outside the center of Akureyri on the Ring Road toward the airport. We saw it on a bus tour as we exited the city. We walked to it from the center of town so it wasn't too far out of the way. What a find! At first you are not sure you are entering a restaurant as it kind of looks like an art or design gallery (which it also is). But once inside you do notice dining tables and a kitchen. We were greeted by the owner, who is quite the Renaissance man. He told us of an art exhibit that will have him touring in Moscow & New York. He sat us down and gave us the limited menu. Everything on it is FRESH fish. It comes with an organic vegetable soup and potatoes and vegetables. The 3 of us ordered different things (mine was Halibut) and each of us agreed that our dinners were the best fish each of us had ever had. I didn't know fish could taste like that! I thought Croatia offered me my best seafood experience but this blew it out of the water (pardon the pun). The owner chatted with us a little while and offered us a surprise: free Blueberry Ice Cream with whipped cream. It was so light it was almost like a sorbet. He then guided us upstairs to their lounge where he had another surprise: free cordials. It kind of was like a light Jagermeister... very refreshing after dinner. The other guests were very friendly and the place felt like a home away from home. We were very sad to leave this place knowing it was unlikely we would be back to Akureyri anytime soon because it is so far from New York. Our only regret is that we hadn't come here sooner, every dinner would have been had here. The owner did invite us to his New York show. But I just have to tell everyone, if you like fish and are in Iceland, you MUST go to the Seafood Gallery.

***UPDATE June, 2014). Found out that the restaurant is now under different management and has changed the name to NOA. However I've heard that the food is still amazing!

Check Akureyri Hotel Deals