Scuba Do Zanzibar

Kendwa, Tanzania

Scuba Do Zanzibar Kendwa Reviews

haidgirl haidgirl
snorkel trip to Mnemba Island Feb 20, 2015
I was so excited to get out on the water, after missing my last snorkelling trip in Bwejuu! I was a little disappointed with the outcome...maybe it was just a bad snorkelling day, maybe because I spent last year in the Maldives, but whatever the case, I walked away a bit disappointed.

I wanted to do a day trip to Mnemba Island, because I heard the snorkelling there was the best in Zanzibar. Scuba Do was associated with the hotel where I was staying, so I booked with them. They only do Mnemba Island trips on Friday, and I had to meet at the shop at 9am. I signed some forms and waited while everyone got their gear sorted. The guide then made us all wear wet suits. I was not overly happy about it, but I figured he must know something I didn't, so on went the wet suit.

There were two groups of us: snorkellers and divers. There were three of us snorkelling and five divers. We got onto the boat, which turned out to be a speed boat, not a dhow; I was kinda looking forward to floating along in the traditional dhow. Oh well, off we raced to Mnemba Island. We saw a couple dophins along the way and made it to the reef in about 30 minutes. Visibility at the first stop wasn't very good but not too bad. One of the ladies was really happy with the visibility because she said the day before when she was out at Kendwa reef, the visibility was almost nil! We were in the water for about 45 mins. The guide would point out fish and tell us what they were, like puffer fish, lizard fish, box fish, sea snake and squid. We got back on the boat for a rest and lunch. Lunch consisted of pancakes and nutella, watermelon, pineapple, mango and banana. Water was also provided. The second stop started out great, with amazing visibility, but the current was really strong and we ended up swimming over nothing but sand. Then had to swim against the current/float for about 10 minutes while the guide signaled to get the boat's attention to come and pick us up. It's a shame the current was so strong. I got back in the boat thinking: "huh. I guess that's it." I know it's not necessarily the guide's fault but I must admit, I was a bit concerned when he asked us where we wanted to stop. I would hope he would know the waters better than us three foreigners.

It was a good thing I got the trip at a discount price (because there were enough of us going). I paid $40 instead of their listed $85. I can't imagine paying $85 for this trip!!! I paid in Tanzanian Shillings, but if you're getting short on cash, you can pay by card there (with a 6% surcharge added).

Check Kendwa Hotel Deals