Screen Gems Studio

1223 North 23rd Street Wilmington, Wilmington, NC, USA
910 343 3500
Screen Gems Studio - One Tree Hill billboard
Screen Gems Studio - Wasn't supposed to take this on-set picture.
Screen Gems Studio - The only picture you will take if you make the Screen Gems tour!

Screen Gems Studio Wilmington Reviews

kingoftheicedragons kingofth…
The Magic of Wilmywood Sep 18, 2011
First off, I will say that photography is not permitted on the tour of Screen Gems Studio. If they catch you taking pictures, they will delete it and escort you off the property.

The tour that we went on showed off three permanent sets for the CW show "One Tree Hill," which is in its final season. The first sound stage was of the main house of one of the characters, a set that cost $500,000 to make. That's more than my house cost. They went on to explain some of the magic of producing a TV show--the moving walls, the lack of electricity or running water in the "house" and what they need to do to create that illusion. They talked about the lighting on the set, including lighting to make it appear that it's daytime outside even though they may be shooting at night. The tour also included a recording studio and a beach house in two other sound stages. Appliances are real appliances, but they aren't working models due to the fact that there is no electricity hook ups on the sets. There were some temporary sets for the show, but they couldn't show us those since the episode hadn't aired yet.

Following the tour of the soundstages, we were taken to the screening room where they view the dailies--watching everything that was filmed that day, looking for errors and how it would look on screen.

Overall, the tour lasted about an hour, and I would definitely say if you get the chance to come here, it's well worth the time.
vances vances
Screen Gems Studio Tour - Wilmington, NC Nov 07, 2009
Little did I know that my latest residence is home for the largest movie studio east of LA in the US. I’m pretty clueless about TV these days, but Chip was down to visit from Boston and since Eric is home we took the entire brood to enjoy the tour last Saturday. The Screen Gems Studio in Wilmington is right next to the airport and the tours, which start every Saturday at 2PM cost $12 ($10 for students/military and $5 for children 6-12). Just show up at the gate and wait for them to let you in – there is no capacity limit, so no need to arrive early.

They conduct the tours on the weekends intentionally since the studio is not in operation, so don’t expect to see any stars or any live action. I’m sure this disappoints many attendees, but the tour was guided by youngsters who work at the studio and their enthusiasm was evident. They informed everyone that pictures would not be tolerated, explaining why my only snapshot is from just beyond the entrance gates. The first thing the guides did was poll our group to see who was a raging fan of “One Tree Hill,” which I never heard of before. The balance of the tour was basically walking through the sets where they film this TV series.

Not a profound adventure by any stretch, but it was fun to walk on the sets and get some insider info on filming these shows. Even though we were instructed not to touch anything on the sets, I confess to flipping a light switch at the beach house which one husband-wife couple on the show apparently owns, so if you watch “One Tree Hill” let me know if the switch in the middle of the three-switch unit by the front door is UP --- they were all down before my vandalism! I knew this was harmless since they had told us nothing on the sets was wired.

After walking through several sets you sit in the screening room for a short promo film and then exit through a pretty lame gift shop. Certainly not a reason to head for Wilmington, but a pleasant diversion if you happen to be in the neighborhood.
The only picture you will take if …
Dr_Seuss says:
So they tell you not to touch and you just see that as a invitational challenge :-D
Posted on: Nov 08, 2009
sylviandavid says:
Thanks for letting us know about this... We are duds and don't watch TV so I'm pretty clueless... but I did enjoy reading your review! Hope they don't have to refilm the season's shows when they see the light switch flipped.... Maybe they'll give you a line " light switcher vandal: Vance" wow .. wouldn't that be an honor???!!! LOL sylvia
Posted on: Nov 07, 2009
reikunboy says:
I've never heard of the show either
Posted on: Aug 26, 2008
peppertm peppertm
Screen Gems Studios tour Mar 22, 2008
There were two studio tours that we had to choose from- One at 12:00 and the other at 2:00. We weren’t the only people there when we arrived at 11:15 for the 12:00 tour. We got in line in front of the front office, and then proceeded to watch car after car inter the parking lot. The line behind us grew and grew, and we were silently congratulating ourselves for getting there so early. When the office opened, we bought our $12 ticket, then everyone was split into two groups. Once our tour started, our tour guide told us he’d never seen so many people at one tour. I’d say there were between 40 and 50 people in each of the two groups.

Screen Gems Studios, which is the largest TV and movie production facility East of California, has nine soundstages in all- we got to tour stages 7 and 8. The main production at Screen Gems Studios was One Tree Hill, so between the two stages, we got to see Nathan’s and Haley’s house, Mouth and Skills’ apartment, and the high school. Of course, because it was Easter weekend, there were no actors to be seen anywhere. When we were finished touring the stages, we went behind the scenes and got to see the editing room. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable, as he gave us information on the current season of One Tree Hill and other projects that had been filmed there, such as Domestic Disturbance, Black Knight, 28 Days, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Weekend At Bernies, I Know What You Did Last Summer, and Matlock, among other things. We also got loads of information about filming, lighting, sound, and edition. It was quite interesting.

Although I’d never seen a single episode of One Tree Hill at the time I took the tour, the tour definitely peaked my interest. I’d seen Dawson’s Creek, which had also filmed there, but seeing the actual sites of OTH, along with my sister’s love of the show, made me want to see the show. The only complaint I had about the tour was our photo restrictions. The production company (The CW) wouldn’t allow anyone to take pictures on or around the sets, as they didn’t want any spoilers, so the tour guides were adamant we didn’t take any photos, and if cameras were seen, they’d be confiscated. Needless to say, I didn’t see any cameras.

Since my visit to Wilmington, I have seen every episode of One Tree Hill. It’s fun to recognize things on the TV that I saw in ‘real life’.
Screen Gems Studios
One Tree Hill billboard
Wasn't supposed to take this on-se…

Check Wilmington Hotel Deals