Scovill Zoo

(217) 421-7435

Scovill Zoo Decatur Reviews

ahtibat17 ahtibat17
Small Zoo, Big Fun May 11, 2010
I absolutely love zoos and go whenever I get the chance. The Scovill Zoo in Decatur, Illinois is rather small, but that's to be expected in an area like this (I was surprised there was a zoo at all).

When I first arrived, though, I was a little leery -- it was advertised as a children's zoo, and there was a large playground at the entrance. And, the entrance is a little confusing. The exit is clearly marked, but the entrance is inside the gift shop. There, you pay the admission fee ($5 for adults) and enter the zoo.

It's a small zoo, so it's fairly simple to follow the sidewalks and exhibits and not miss anything. At first, I thought it was going to be a wasted afternoon and trup to Decatur. But, did I turn out to be wrong! There were a few animals that I was not expecting, a zebra and a couple cheetahs. The galapagos turtles were pretty awesome, but the most amazing animal was the baby lemur. Ring-tailed lemurs are some of my favorite animals, but I had never seen a baby and he was ADORABLE! It was interesting to see when he made a noise, his momma was there at his side immediately, and then he clung to her back. Also interesting was the peacocks that roam freely. One male had spread his plumes and was really struttin' his stuff. And, when a female came near, he started shaking, rattling his feathers.

It took about an hour to go through the zoo, pretty much what I expected. The zoo's layout is pretty simple, and it's easy to see everything. I noticed one concession stand with limited offerings, plus there is a train that goes through the zoo.

Check Decatur Hotel Deals