Scillonian III

Isles of Scilly Steamship Company, Isles of Scilly, United Kingdom

Scillonian III Isles of Scilly Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
A nice sea journey May 27, 2012
I was going to the Isles of Scilly, so I had to decide on how to get there. There are three options, by ship, by plane and by helicopter. I ended up with the cheapest option, which was not cheap, the ship the Scillonian III. I bought the ticket online through Isles of Scilly Travel, http://www.islesofscilly-travel.co.uk

45 minutes before departure I walked down to the harbour and was first met by two cheerful guys who took my suitcase. With a smile they said that they would pass it on to charity!!! The suitcase was marked with my hotel and which island I was going to. To my delightful surprise they informed me that when I arrived St Mary´s I could just walk off the boat and forget about my bag. For £1,25 they would take it directly to my hotel. What a great service.

I then walked 50 yards down the quay to a small stone hut for check in. After the procedure was done I was handed a small boarding card. Another 50 yards further down the quay it was collected again and I could board the Sciillonian III.

In the front of the ship, on the entrance level, there was a nice sitting area, a fully licensed bar and café. On the same level, but in the back of the ship there was another sitting area and a gift and souvenir shop. One level down, believe it or not, more sitting areas and another café. There was no chance of going hungry or thirsty on this trip. Both the entrance level and upstairs had benches outside.

The trip from Penzance to St Mary´s take 2 hours and 45 minutes, so if you get bored you can check out all the information boards around the ship. These boards contain information about sea animals, sea birds, flora & fauna, maps of the islands and history about sea journeys to the Isles of Scilly.

The ship doesn´t sail very fast, but the journey was comfortable and the service good. It was a nice way of getting to the Isles of Scilly.

The price was £42,50 each way. No discount for round trip. It didn´t feel fair that they offer a day trip for £35. And if you have a coupon, the day trip will only cost you £30. The Scillonian III sails to St Mary´s Monday-Saturday. During the winter it only sails 4 times a week.

Isles of Scilly Travel Limited, Steamship House, Quay Street, Penzance, Cornwall. TR18 4BZ, Tel +44 (0) 1736 334220, Website: http://www.islesofscilly-travel.co.uk, E-mail: sales@islesofscilly-travel.co.uk
Scillonian III
Sitting area in front of the ship …
Sitting area in front of the ship …
Sitting area in the back of the sh…
Dr_Seuss says:
It is a lovely journey, though my kids spent almost all of tucked up in the bunks on the lower deck after the early start :D
Posted on: May 27, 2012