Schloß Nymphenburg

Schloß Nymphenburg, Munich, Germany

Schloß Nymphenburg Munich Reviews

FoxyFauz FoxyFauz
The Gift of a Summer Palace Sep 10, 2015
A summer palace built by the Bavarian King Ferdinand Maria as a gift to his wife Henriette Adelaide for giving birth to his long awaited heir to his throne, Max Emanuel who was born in 1662. This palace structure was designed by Italian architect, Augustino Barelli who also did the Munich Theatine Church. However the palace landscape was later completed by a French architect, Joseph Effener and Dominique Girard thereby giving the Baroque style during Max Emanuel’s reign.

There was a walkthrough souvenir store where you could buy entrance tickets. Basic palace tour tickets costs EUR 9.50 and the handheld audioguide costs an additional EUR3. You have to pay additional if you wish to see the royal carriage room (i.e you can buy a combined ticket). There is a locker for you to put your belongings as no bags are allowed into the palace rooms. Which is great so I can dump my jacket in the locker and walk comfortably. Cameras are allowed but no flash which was fine by me.

The tour begin at level 2 where you will be greeted by an amazing fresco, chandelliers and paintings in the Great Hall. A section (3 rooms) were under renovation when we were there but we saw enough.

My favourite room was the Great Hall and King Ludwig’s Gallery of Beauties. Don’t mistaken as there is also Max Emanuel’s Gallery of Beauties which features the ladies from the Court of Versailles. I also like the bed rooms which are all in green colour. King Ludwig’s Gallery of Beauties features ALL the beautiful maiden of the land at that time regardless of personal background. A bit like Cinderella story. The prettiest of them all, in my view was that of Helene Sedlmayr, who is the daughter of a shoemaker. She was 14 years old in this picture, she looks almost angelic. Should have taken a picture of her painting!

We also took a walk into the gardens though we did not go very far as it was too windy and cold (12 degrees). There is a café within the gardens but we were too lazy to walk all the way. Nobody seems to be interested in taking a ride in the gondola with this weather.

I will upload photos later tonight!
View of Schloss Nypthemburg from a…
Great Hall