Scams in Kolkata

Kolkata, India

Scams in Kolkata Reviews

yarayarinha7 yarayari…
Scams in the streets of Kolkata - beggars Jan 25, 2013
Watch out with the many people who are begging for money in the streets of Kolkata.

Yes, there are many, many homeless and poor people, but there's also a high rate of drug addicts (we saw a coupe of guys shooting on the street in different occasions) and there's some mafias involved in this.

We fell for one. A woman carrying a little baby, begging for some baby milk, because she couldn't afford to feed her baby.

We were heart broken and because the woman actually made clear she wanted no money, but baby milk, my boyfriend went to the pharmacy with her, got her the milk and by the time we were leaving, she went back in the pharmacy again.

I thought it was strange and we decided to check what was going on. She was returning the milk and asking for the cash back.

The the pharmacist said this woman do it all day long, ripping off tourists and actually making a good deal of money.

We got upset, first of she lied, she should care better about her baby who was really dirty. But they keep the kids dirty to make us feel sorry for them.

So, we didn't know what the money was for. We took our money back from her.

I even caught this on camera... Sad, but happens non-stop.
On the way to the pharmacy to get …
yarayarinha7 says:
We only gave her the baby milk because she insisted she wanted no money, that she was honestly needed to feed her baby. She souded very genuine.

She's not the only one, there are more woman doing the same thing with the baby milk.

If people give them this things, it works as an incentive to keep this children dirty, skinny and stuck in the same condition of poverty.

I really think it's better to donate to institutions.

India has a serious problem with poverty directly linked to the cast system, which works so differently from other societies across the world, where people can still get out of their terribe conditions.

I was really overwelmed by the condition of these untouchables :(
Posted on: Jan 28, 2013
nolan says:
Typo - it should be "strong likelihood"
Posted on: Jan 27, 2013
nolan says:
There are similar scams like that in other parts of the world. For one, there is a strong likely that the woman is not the mother of the child - so what does she care except to scam you?

Best way to help them out is to donate directly to an organization (whether religious or non-profit) whose avowed goal is to help alleviate poverty and keep these people (especially kids off the street). I understand Calcutta is where the late Blessed Mother Teresa's Missionaries of Charity are based - I would go to them first before any beggar.
Posted on: Jan 27, 2013