Savage’s Wood Burning Pizzeria

303 Metcalf Street, New Bern, NC, USA

Savage’s Wood Burning Pizzeria New Bern Reviews

vances vances
Fight for a Slice! Dec 19, 2015
Savage was an appropriate name. I made an unwise decision to abandon the Christmas by Candlelight environs and seek a sit-down dinner while waiting for my palace tour at 8:30PM (a BBQ truck was on the fairgrounds, but it was chilly and there was no place to sit). Since the town was crammed with like minded tourists, you may well imagine nearby restaurants were zoos.

I peeked in Savage Pizzeria’s window to witness a mob scene with wait staff tearing around in every direction. Fortunately I espied a small bar where I determined being solo might enhance odds of stealing a single stool. Although I waited twenty minutes to score a seat, many who entered during this time turned around when informed it would be an hour plus for a table.

It was evident the staff was stressed, but during the wait I gained an appreciation for how sincerely they were working hard to streamline things to the extent possible. Once seated at the bar I was promptly offered a menu and asked for a drink order. A bit chagrined the menu featured only pies and full pizzas (being diabetic I pretty much graze and do not eat heavy meals), I inquired whether it was possible to order a single slice (on the menu, but not offered during dinner). The young man tending bar told me he would ask the kitchen, and returned to convey it would be okay. So I placed an order and took an insulin injection. Ten minutes later the barman informed they would be unable to do the slice because their chef determined things were too crazy.

Very unpleasant news since I had injected and the clock was ticking towards my passing out in the absence of calories. I immediately countered by ordering a chef salad (remembered seeing it). So it is with a heavy heart I am unable to serve up an opinion on Savage Pizza’s specialty. I was not expecting the salad to be anything overwhelming since it was clearly a sideline offering. It was okay...nothing memorable.

Regardless, I can share the happy faces of a very crowded house - everyone seemed to be relishing their pizza and raving over it. In addition, I was impressed with the wait staff, all of whom were working way too hard but maintained good service under difficult conditions with smiling faces.
The bar at Savage Pizza
It was a full house and the wait s…
halilee says:
Congrats on your featured review!! Hopefully next time you can try the pizza!
Posted on: Jan 19, 2016
sylviandavid says:
Vance, I always enjoy your upbeat reviews. Love that, while things were going south, you were able to appreciate the hard working staff. This place sounds like a fun place to go ... lots going on and good food. Thanks for this fun review. sylvia
Posted on: Jan 19, 2016