Sauna Van Egmond

4 Van Egmondstraat 2024XM, Haarlem, Netherlands

Sauna Van Egmond Haarlem Reviews

One day and night, first time sauna Jun 22, 2012
It was first time sauna ever and I didn't actually know what to expect, but I did expect some heat and naked people. On their website I found an advertisement about one day sauna incl hotel night with breakfast for 90€. Well, couldn't let that go. I really wanted to try a sauna day once in my life, so I assumed this was my chance, because I was in a happy mood.

When we arrived there was a cute desk with a nice girl who explained how it works. Undress first and where your bathrobe in de lobby and dining room and take a shower before you go into a sauna. Well, I did. The dressing rooms were pretty small and I was lucky there weren't a lot of people, because you cannot open your locker if there are, like at the end of the day. The look of the sauna is amazing. Paintings on the wall en a sort of cozy statues of a tree. There was free soap, different kinds of soap: relax, scrub, normal soap and shampoo. There also was scrub salt which you can use for free. I first tried the coldest sauna, which was 50 degrees celcius. But later I tried the ones with 85 degrees and 95 degrees. I tried another for ones, which I assume was 110 degrees. It was to hot for me, but you can take different kinds of cooling downs. Four kinds of showers outside; rain, moist, jungle and one I forgot. There is a bucket with ice and a bucket with cold water which you can throw our yourself. There is also a bucket hanging in the air with a rope and when you pull it, the water comes down. Inside there is a very cold bath and a really cold shower. In my oppinion the coldest shower.

There was more to do and I actually tried to do everything I could, just to try how everything is like. There was a small whirlpool and a small bubble bath. A Turkish steam bath and there are infrared lamps that make your body warm. There are also chairs that are a little warm, where you can lay on and read a book or something. There is also color therapy. I don't believe in it, but let me explain. You have 4 colors which is supposed to do something to you body. The lamp starts with blue and then green red and yellow. It's supposed to calm down, activate, relax and stimulant. There is also a cinema with movies every two hours, the movies are pretty new.

You can smoke at the back of the 'garden' and there is a small room where you can sit to smoke to. There is a heater, tv and bench with pillows. The food was delicious, I first had a tosti cheese and ham. There was put on a lot of ham and cheese. Then I had a sandwich old cheese. The cheese wasn't very old, but it did taste great. There even was a small salad on the plate. My fiance had a toasti goatcheese with honey and pine nuts.

They do have more facilities, but I didn't do that, because you have to pay extra and I didn't have that much money. They have different kinds of massages, anti aging facial treatments, pedicure and manicure and solarium.

It surprised me it was a sort of bed and breakfast, but they had good service. You'll get your breakfast in the room, unfortunately it was breakfast in bed and I don't like to eat in my bed because of the crumbs. The plate was to big too, so it wasn't possible to eat in bed. Not that the breakfast was a bad thing. It was huge and you had much choise. An hard boiled egg, baked egg, fruitsalad, salad, salami, ham, old cheese, young cheese, brie and fresh juice for 2, tea for 2 and coffee for 2. With a cookie!

The bed and breakfast was in a house bought by the sauna. The bed was good. It was a little small in my oppinion, but that's probaply because I'm used to a big bed. It did sleep good though. The pillow was a little hard, but I folded it, so it layed good anyway. The chairs creaked made some noise when you sat on them. The TV was good, you had enough chanels.

I'm sad I couldn't take pictures of anything of the sauna, but people were naked, so I think you can guess why it wasn't allowed to take pictures.

It has cost me 125€ included food, sauna and one night in a B&B. Please read my review about the B&B.
mini bar