TravBuddy is the #1 online travel community
Share hotel reviews, travel blogs, photos, travel advice and meet over 694,149 travelers just like you!

Saskia007
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy Happy

Name: Saskia
Hometown: Netherlands
Location: New Zealand
Join Date: January 27, 2010
Contributions: Saskia007 has written about 103 places, shared 2,655 photos, left 682 comments, and smiled 942 times.
Interested in: sharing travel tips and blogs
Countries I've Traveled To
Languages Spoken
Dutch, English, German, beginner French and limited Japanese (although I am 'famous' as I passed my Japanese language course but failed English. I am much better at English now.)
Interests
Books you might find in my backpack
Music you might find me listening to while waiting for my plane
Most Memorable Travel Experience
having tea with an elderly gentlemen in Istanbul after getting caught in a downpour when I got off the bus too early (because I was being hit on and I didn't like it)

staying at a local B&B in central Italy when our shower broke - completely. We're talking biblical flooding of the bathroom. I managed to get the shower fixed and working by practicing my (very bad) Italian.

haggling with locals in Siem Riep in their local language, Khmer. Although I was appalling bad at speaking it, and the whole village came out and laughed at my pronunciation, I did manage to get my purchases at the price that I wanted. I even managed to order a delicious coconut drink!

Central Asia - all of it, the people, the food, the buildings, the people (yes so good I said it twice), the offers of marriages

Tibet

Walking around the sites of Leptis Magnia (Libya) and there are no other tourists around meant you could explore freely. I pretended to be a competitor in the Hippodrome, but tripping over a huge mound meant my fall was captured on video and I embarrassed (and winded) myself completely.

Iran - Persepolis just took my breathe away

Getting taken away by police in Transdniestria (a country that is unrecognised internationally) for taking photos and jay walking. When I was released I got out of there as quick as you could spell 'corrupt police'. Did make for a great travel and blog story :) There's always an upside to fear!

Going to London for the weekend - leaving Auckland, New Zealand on the Friday night to arrive on Saturday morning, travelling down to Brighton to watch an FA Cup match - Brighton and Hove Albion versus Rushden Diamonds. Flew back on the Monday and arrived back in Auckland on Wednesday early morning just in time to drive to school and teach my classes. Less than 48 hours on the ground in the UK - what an amazing trip!!

Trekking to the summit of Mount Kinabalu

Being crowned 'World's Greatest Traveller' in 2012
spocklogic says:
HBD!
Posted on: May 17, 2016
Hummingbird says:
Happy Birthday from the central valley of California!!! I hope your day is as sweet as nectar and all your wishes come true! :)
Posted on: May 17, 2014
Chokk says:
Happy Birthday :)
Posted on: May 17, 2014

Saskia007's Travel Blogs

Lets Go To Borneo
Apr 19, 2014 – Apr 26, 2014
A rambling blog about my time with airport security, orangutans, and climbing a small mountain called Mt. Kinabalu (ok, the las…
Overview 1,968 words 89 3 15
Apr 11, 2013 – May 04, 2013
Being crowned the "Worlds Greatest Traveller" in 2012 Andrew and I are off again to have another adventure into the unknown. F…
Overview 4,447 words 98 26 84
This blog was featured on Tuesday April 23rd, 2013
Dec 15, 2012 – Jan 11, 2013
One of my 'Things To Do Before I Die" is celebrate New Years Eve in an exotic location and I thought since some of my students …
Overview 9,235 words 496 11 58