Sarawak, Bako National Park & Mulu National Park

Kuching, Malaysia

Sarawak, Bako National Park & Mulu National Park Kuching Reviews

FairozAbdul FairozAb…
Gunung Mulu, World Heritage Area, 21/1/14 - 26/1/14 Jan 28, 2014
Took MaSwing at Kuching international Airport to Mulu Airport. Flight duration 1.5 hr. There are transports provided by locals to send you to Park HQ for RM5. A walkable distance but by transport took less than 10 minutes. Suggest you do your last minute shopping at Kuching: toiletries, snacks, bottled water, a good pair of shoes and extra socks.

Once you reached Gunung Mulu Park HQ check in at the main office to get your accommodation and plan your activities. They charge RM30 for 5 days 4 nights park access. I planned and booked my activities exactly a month before. For lone travelers this is crucial so they can slot you into a group and assign a guide. Some activities require minimum 4 people. The receptionists were amiable and resourceful. They will explain all available activities to you.

My itineraries were as follow:

21st – 7pm Night Walk

22nd- 8.30am Canopy skywalk, 2pm Fast lane in Lagang Cave

23rd- 8.45am Wind Cave and Clear water Cave

24th – 9am Adventure Caving: Racer Cave (StoneHorse Cave)

25th – The Garden of Eden and Valley Walk (Deer Cave, Waterfall, Lang Cave) followed by Bat Observatory. This is a full day activity.

All the activities above are guided. The first three is quite tame. I didn’t get to do the night walk and got a refund as it was raining from 21st right up to 23rd. A brief clear sky for the canopy skywalk but it was a wet season for Mulu. A poncho (available at the park) and extra pairs of socks (not available) goes a long way. You travel by longboat for some of the activities.

The first three caves are quite tame. Show caves which involves a bit of hiking and climbing steep staircases but definitely interesting with several picturesque sights. The guide will explain loads of thing like formation of the caves how the animal survives there. Bring a good torch.

The Raver cave and Valley walk were definitely more challenging with a taste of adventure. Be prepared to get wet and dirty. Imagine Indiana Jones. Helmet, head torch, ropes and carabiner is provided for the adventure caves. For both of the activities there were two rangers guiding us.

There are several unguided walks. I did the easy Botanical Heritage trail and The Paku Waterfall. You can do these whenever.

I stayed in the hostel which has a hot shower (can be much hotter). They provide a clean linen set consisting of a bed sheet, pillow case, blanket and towel. You pay deposit of RM50 for these and get a full refund at the end of your stay. Padlock for a locker is provided upon demand. For your convenience choose a bed with a working electric socket.

Things there are crazy expensive in my opinion. RM13 for a plate of nasi lemak. There is a food stall right outside the park which is a tad cheaper. You can get Wifi for RM5 which expires every day. Slow but definitely functional. I spent gross amount of RM655, not inclusive of meals, coffee sachets, wifi fees, rubber shoes etc.

I definitely enjoy the experience and already am missing the lush rainforest and its friendly guide. Time seems to slow down there as you take your time to breath in life and celebrate mother nature.
Mulu airport
Canopy Skywalk
Wind Cave
A treat after arduous hike for Ede…
feline_p feline_p
Bako National Park Jun 09, 2012
If you are into hiking and jungle trekking, then Bako National Park is the place to be. There are several trails to choose from. Personally,I have only been to two. Each trail offers a set of different flora and fauna to be seen. The park offers scenic and picturesque sites to be captured. It's away from the mainland, so it'll only be you,nature and some nature lovers. You'll see wild boar up,close and personal..and if you're lucky enough you'll bump into a clan of proboscis monkey making their way into the wild.

How to get there? Hop into a bus from the Kuching city to Bako village. From Bako village take a boat for RM47 a boat to the park. After a 20 minutes boat ride, you will reach the park. You also need to pay for the fee to enter the park..You can go for a day trip although that would be tiring. I would personally prefer to stay there for the night at least because the accommodation is so cheap. But, you must book your accommodations in advance through the Sarawak tourism board as the park do not have any commercial hotel operators. So, the option for accommodation is very limited. The lodges and dorms at the park are equipped with the most basic amenities enough to sleep for the night. And there is a cafe there which served reasonably edible food...Well, good enough actually considering you are in the midst of the jungle.

So when you are there, go hiking on the many trails to choose from. And enjoy pristine nature, away from the hustle and bustle of city life which suffocates me sometimes. Good luck and be safe!
atreehouse says:
Thanks for the review. Was wondering on what activities to do when I get to Kuching early next month..thanks for this, will also look to go see the Orang Utans while there.
Posted on: Jun 27, 2012
feline_p says:
I am glad to be of help..You are indeed most welcome :D
Posted on: Jun 10, 2012
from_australia says:
Thanks for the review!
Posted on: Jun 09, 2012
chantelleindia chantell…
Find your soul in the heart of nature at Bako National Park Aug 26, 2010
Are an eco enthusiast? Well an adventurous person that i am,trekking is in my blood and so i chose the famed Bako National Park as my ideal one day excursion. Situated in the beautiful Sarawak on Borneo Island, the Bako National Park seems to be one of the oldest national parks in Malaysia.

Walking on the narrow jungle trails amidst lush greenery the beauty of natural sceneries, habitat, exotic plant and wildlife left us awestruck. In this national park, we were thrilled to see beautiful pitcher plants and wild orchids. Don’t be surprised if a proboscis monkey- a resident of the Bako National Park crosses your path. Unlike the normal monkeys, the proboscis monkeys are a bit sober in approach. As we trudged along our way we also saw wild boars from a distance, monitor lizards racing swiftly on trees and hundreds of bird species. Besides sights of the silvered langurs, long tailed macaque monkeys and flying squirrels also came as a surprise to me.

How to get there? We reached Bako National Park by a 20-minute longboat ride from Kampung Bako. Or you could also travel one-hour from your Kuching hotel by car plus longboat to reach Baku National Park.

Tour Highlights: You'll love this package; Just found out the details so thought of sharing!

• Nature lovers full-day Bako National Park tour from Kuching

• 20-minute longboat ride to Bako National Park

• Search for Proboscis monkeys and other wildlife

• Packed lunch

• English-speaking guide

• Hotel pickup and drop off
Watched the cute lil flying squirr…
The proboscis monkey was as oblivo…
Bako National Park
Silvered langur
lilyg lilyg
Combine business travel and travelling Oct 13, 2010
Miri, Serawak is an Oil city. People visit Miri either working in the Oil company, or just transit before heading up to other places like Brunei, Kuching, or even Mulu National park.

I went there for business purpose and combine travelling to Lambir Hills National Park when we can take a leisure walk to reach a waterfall of 100 ft high.

Niah Caves is another place worth to visit while you are there. here you can explore the famous cave system, archaelogical sites. Unfortunatelly I miss the primitive hematite paintings due to broken bridge or pathway going to the painted cave.

Taman National Mulu is another places that you need to reach by boat or plane. I took small plane after my first flight return back to Miri due to bad weather after 15 minutes flied.

Visiting 3 show caves out of 4 on my agenda in Mulu is really interesting part that I can do within 2D/1N trip. There are Lang cave, Wind Cave and Clearwater Cave.
Inside the cave
Niah cave
pathway to the caves
Sex stone in the cave
passion4travel passion4…
Jan 04, 2008
I believe anyone travelling to Kuching in Sarawak should not miss Bako National Park. I nearly gave it a miss as I thought...oh just another national park and the weather was pretty crappy, but honestly, when I got off the boat, trudged through the water and looked up at that cliff face, this amazing feeling came over me - it was awesome!

The boat ride is great fun, but you need to leave the jetty around 9-9.30am due to the tides and if returning in the same day, get on the boat at about 3-3.30pm. Boat costs 40RM one way (boat rate, not per person rate -so if you can get a group together its cheaper).

You can take guided tours (through tour operators in Kuching) on all walking trails or you can just rock up on your own and report to the park headquarters, write in the guest book and take off on your own on any of the marked trails which is what we did. The generic tours that a lot of people take are not actually right into the jungle to see the probiscus monkeys which is where we went and it was just facinating. It was like being in another world. I would recommend staying for a couple of days and taking in a couple of the trails. They have simple lodges at minimal prices.

If you get time Mulu National Park is another of my favourites. You can fly out of Kota Kinabalu direct with FAX or take a bit of a dog leg journey flying from Kuching, through Miri. Another great place for trekking unguided. They also offer a guided tour from Park HQ in longboats to the Penan Settlement along the river, then onto Clearwater Cave where you can also do adventure caving if you have more time in the park. There is a natural pool just outside the cave which we had a dip in and I would certainly recommend it after the hot walk up to the cave.

If you book all this yourself through Air Asia/Fax and go independent of a tour it can be done relatively cheaply. We stayed in their Longhouse accommodation which was cheap and comfortable (freezing airconditioning). The other attraction at Mulu is the Deer Cave where a mass exodus of bats, I mean millions leave the cave at around 4.30pm every day. Food at the park is not the greatest, but just outside the park over the bridge and to the left there is a little bar/restaurant on the river where we ate - it was cheap and food was good. Walk a little bit further down the track and you'll see fire fly's sparkling in the night.
The monkeys were supposed to be sh…
Penan Woman - MULU
One of the crossings we endured on…
Coming in off the boat BAKO
passion4travel says:
Hi Marg, Yes we got to the cultural village and thought it was a great setup. I've looked at a couple of your blogs - sounds like you've had some interesting adventures!! Your pics are great too!
Posted on: Jan 22, 2008
margmack says:
sadly I did not get to go to either park whilst in Kuching last November. But I did see orangutangs at Semengoh Sanctuary...wonderful.... and I loved the cultural village... Did you get there?
Posted on: Jan 21, 2008