Sanuki No Sato

www.sanukinosato.com - (310) 324-9184

Sanuki No Sato Gardena Reviews

alicegourmet alicegou…
An authentic Izakaya with great udons Mar 27, 2010
I tried this authentic Japanese restaurant by accident. The original plan was going to Asa for ramen. But Asa won’t be open until 6p.m. Where should I go? I noticed that the whole strip malls filled with Japanese shops and restaurants, just like another Little Tokyo. I thought the Japanese restaurants around this neighbourhood would be quite authentic. The sign [さぬきの里] popped up in front of my eyes. It is an Izakaya style of Japanese restaurant (informal drinking place that offers a variety of small dishes, finger food).

Sanuki No Sato has a pretty good size lunch menu. If you are into udon or soba noodles, this is the place for you. Besides from the noodles, it also has an extensive dinner menu with appetizers, small dishes, hot pots, set dinners, as well as a great list of shochu and sake.

I ordered a Tempura Udon (shrimp & vegetable) in hot soup [$11.5]. The batter of the tempura batter was crispy, but not greasy. The udon has a good texture and the soup was very nice. The portion size is good for me and it really hits the spot!

I came back there to try again to try their Tonkatsu Set (deep fried pork cutlet served with small udon in soup, rice, Chawanmushi-Japanese steamed egg custard, & Japanese pickles) [$14.5]. V ordered the Beef Nanbanyaki Set (beef & vegetables stir fried in special sauce served on a sizzling hot plate, plus small udon in soup, rice, chawanmushi & Japanese pickles) [$13.5]. The tonkatu (pork cutlet) was perfectly deep-fried and it was juicy inside. The beef & vegetable stir-fry was nice. The chawanmushi was perfectly steamed.

I have to say that the lunch portion was very filling. I also went back there for dinner with Joy (pvtjoy), Tracy (TRE69) and George (Hurch). It’s a little bit pricey but the food overall is authentic and tasty. Since it is not too far away from my house, I would go back for lunch.
It doesn't have an English sign of…
At the entrance
The inner decor
alicegourmet says:
I know everything is so expensive in Germany...maybe except the Birkenstock sandles! LOL!
Posted on: Nov 24, 2009
lauro says:
how come in the states things are so cheap :(
Posted on: Nov 23, 2009
Eric Eric
Jan 06, 2008
I didn't eat much Japanese food until I met Lisa, but she has expanded my culinary horizons! I used to think that Japanese food was just sushi and teriyaki, but now I crave Japanese food more often than any other type. There are tons of good places in the South Bay, and most of them are inexpensive and healthier than other fare you might find.

Sanuki no Sato, a "famous" yet casual udon (fat noodle) and soba (thin noodle) place in a non-descript strip mall in Gardena is a good example of this. There are photos on the wall by the entrance with all the Japanese celebrities who have eaten here. I didn't recognize most of them, but some (Like Hideo Nomo, former pitcher for the Dodgers) were up there. The udon is served in a variety of broths with a variety of toppings, and all of it is incredibly delicious.

Best of all, it's not too expensive. Most dishes are under $10. I've probably been here 8+ times now, but I can't wait to go back. Good, healthy, reliable food.

Note: I don't think they have an English sign outside, but it's the place at the inside corner of the L-shaped strip-mall.
alicegourmet says:
I tried this restaurant couple times...I really love it! Not just the ramen or soba noodle, but also the Tonkatsu...awesome! The service is very attentive and the environment is cozy. Definitely this is one of my favorite restaurants in the South Bay!
Posted on: May 23, 2008