Santa Ramen

1944 South El Camino Real, San Mateo, CA, USA
Santa Ramen - 03 - my bowl - pork + pork + corn
Santa Ramen - 00 - Santa Ramen 30 minutes before 20 minutes before doors opening... see the line?
Santa Ramen - 01 - Santa Ramen's one page menu
Santa Ramen - 02 - tim's, my cube neighbor, ramen bowl. pork + pork
Santa Ramen - 04 - red bean mousse with green tea sauce

Santa Ramen San Mateo Reviews

madeleine madeleine
if you love ramen, you gotta try Santa Ramen May 10, 2008
I wasn't planning on eating out for lunch that Wednesday, but when my cube neighbor Tim popped up and asked, "hey, we're going to Santa Ramen...want to come?" I couldn't say no. I've heard about this place for months but they were closed the last time I tried to go.

Another colleague then says, "We need to go now!"...and we left immediately. I didn't understand why he was in such a rush. In 5-10 minutes we were there... so was a line outside the door. The place wasn't even open yet and at least 20 people were already waiting and giving the waitress their order in line. Props to Santa Ramen for thinking ahead and getting the orders made when doors open. After waiting in line before opening for twenty minutes, I understood why we had to leave so quickly. We probably would've had to wait for at least an hour to get a table if we left any later.

I got the Pork Flavored Ramen - creamy, yet no-too-creamy, broth is one of the best I've had in the bay and yummy noodles. The pork was soft, fatty and flavorful. The boiled egg was mediocre. It tasted just like a plain broiled egg, which was disappointing. Overall, the bowl tasted great and very fulfilling.

To add a sweet ending, I had their red bean mousse with green tea sauce. Not too bad...although I probably wouldn't order it again. It was good to try once.

Now for price - I think it's quite expensive for ramen. Unfortunately, I haven't found another restaurant that compares to Santa Ramen for much cheaper. My ramen bowl cost $10.45 ($7.95 base + $1.50 extra 2pc Pork + $1.00 for extra corn). Additional toppings ranged from $1-$4.00, a little too pricey for my preference for the quantity. The red bean mousse was either $3 or $4 and came in a small bowl/cup.

I probably wouldn't eat here too often just b/c of the cost for ramen.

So was the food worth the wait? Depends on my mood:

- If I really want to go out to eat ramen, then I'd make sure to get there early. If I had to wait 1-2 hours, I probably wouldn't go b/c I'm lazy like that.

- If I have friends visiting from out of town and they want to try great Ramen, then I'd definitely take them there first.
00 - Santa Ramen 30 minutes before…
01 - Santa Ramen's one page menu
02 - tim's, my cube neighbor, rame…
03 - my bowl - pork + pork + corn