Sanjusangendo

sanjusangendo.jp - 075-561-0467

Sanjusangendo Kyoto Reviews

henryyjr henryyjr
1001 statues Sep 04, 2011
ITS Really amazing, I think only the Terracota of Xian will be better than this...

its really close to kyoto station,its 20min walk... in front of the national museum... or u can take a bus in front of the station for 200ienes... and the ticket is 600 ienes

if u go to kyoto u must see it ! its 1thousand statues plus a big one ! the only problem is that is forbidden to take pictures inside !
pyrrho pyrrho
Amazing Apr 09, 2009
This place is amazing! If you only go to one temple - then this one would be at the top of your list.

There are 28 minor wooden statues of gods and guardians, that are very detailed. The one of the Great Warrior Woman enchanted me the most: all the other ones have swords, armour, dragons or fire - the woman just had a dress on and had folded hands.

There are 1000 other wooden statues, either side of the main Kannon statue. What amazed me was they were all re-made after a fire destroyed the first ones. What would go through your mind, if you had to remake the statues again?

It's the only museum where I have wanted to read ALL of the signs (excluding the ones that were only in Japanese, of course).
weirdnikkii weirdnik…
A Kyoto Must Aug 25, 2008
Sanjusangendo was on of the several temples I visited during my weekend trip to Kyoto, Japan. Out of all of them, this one impressed me the most. It costs about 300 to 500 yen to get in, but it is worth it. The temple itself is enough to awe and inspire, not including the 1,001 daibutsu or the statues that are considered National Treasures. If you are going to visit, make sure that you are not on a busy tourist schedule. You really have to stop and apreciate this place. Plus, walking from one side to the other of the temple is going to take you at least a few minutes, and then you have to walk back again. My friend and I took time to look through the 1000 "faces" of the guardian statues, due to legend that you can find a familiar face of a loved one in one of the statues. We actually found one of her fried's faces.

Note that it is prohibited to take photos inside the temple. However, I reccomend buying a book in the gift shop for 1000 yen on your way out. Also, if you are going to visit in the summer months, beware that the temple does not have airconditioning and it does get hot!

Related Travel Blogs About Sanjusangendo

Christmas in Kyoto
It was my first time experiencing Christmas in a place where it is not celebrated, but it wasn't too weird, as being a nurse, I usually have to work holidays and it wasn't a big deal. Dave and me exc…Kyoto museum or Sanjusangendo temple on the way to a coffee shop Dave found the day before. I was really…

Check Kyoto Hotel Deals