Sands flies in St. Thomas-ouch!

Saint Thomas, United States Virgin Islands

Sands flies in St. Thomas-ouch! Saint Thomas Reviews

HuBison HuBison
How to possibly avoid painful and unsightly sand fly bites Nov 26, 2011
Sand flies are a popular nemesis of travelers to St Thomas. i have been there 4 times and finally sat down to write a tip about this topic:

On my first visit, I was eating lunch on the day of our arrival and noticed a man's legs. He was covered in over 50 or 60 little red marks on his legs and they were gross looking. My friend and I changed into our bathing suits and wanted to get to the beach before the sun set. We walked and dipped in the water a bit and then went to lie down on a beach chair.

I constantly felt little pangs of stinging. They were brief, not very painful, were quite annoying and very definite. We decided not to stay very long (we were irritated by the bites and the sun was setting). Later that evening, in my room, I noticed a few red spots on my legs, no more than 15. They were very small and very red.

You are very likely to get them when on the beach and it is late evening. I spent the day at Meghan's Bay and didn't get any and am not sure if I had stayed into the evening, I would have been as lucky. So, get to the beach early and enjoy your day and once the sun starts to set, be on your way back to your hotel room or cruise ship. Choose a nice clean beach with little seaweed or other items washed up onto the shore.

I'm not sure bug repellent would work, but if you have any, consider spraying the entire rim of your towel or blanket instead of spraying it directly onto your skin (firstly, bug repellent shouldn't really be applied directly to the skin, secondly, you might not want to mix it with sun block).

Hope this was helpful in some way.
Chokk says: