Sandemans New Europe Edinburgh

Edinburgh, Scotland

Sandemans New Europe Edinburgh Reviews

jenbob12 jenbob12
A great tour - and you decide what it costs! Apr 04, 2015
I saw Sandemans Free Walking Tours recommended on several websites (including TravBuddy!) and decided to give it a go. I'm so glad I did!

I arrived at the meeting point and the guides did very well to organise a large number of people into groups quickly. We set off on a two and a half hour tour around Edinburgh with our guide Australian David.

We saw the old town and were told of the history of Edinburgh and Scotland. As much as I love the movie 'Braveheart', it was great to hear the true story of William Wallace and Robert the Bruce.

We saw several places associated with the Harry Potter books including the cafe where J. K Rowling wrote the first two books, the school on which Hogwarts was based and the graveyard where she found some names for the characters. Yes, we saw the grave of Tom Riddle!

If I had more time in Edinburgh I would definitely have taken one of the other tours they offer, or the pub crawl! Our guide Australian David, had great enthusiasm for Edinburgh and it's history. He shared many amusing anecdotes without taking away from the historical nature of the tour.

I will 100% be joining Sandemans for tours in other cities!
AggieRockStar AggieRoc…
BEST FREE WALKING TOUR EVER!!!! Apr 06, 2011
New Europe sponsors free walking tours in 13 different locations; Edinburgh was the absolute best tour I went on my entire 2 month back-packing trip. The tour picks up outside of Starbucks on the Royal Mile and you are split up into groups.

Side Note: While I'm absolutely positive all the tour guides with this company are phenomenal, if a blonde guy name Andy is one of them, switch your groups immediately and join his. (He's absolutely gorgeous, has the best Scottish accent that you can actually understand, and is one of the funniest people I've ever listened to. Period.)

Once in your group the tour starts and within 5-10 minutes I guarantee you will be laughing so hard your sides will hurt and tears will come. And that's what the entire tour is like! You are getting a 3-4 hour in depth look at Edinburgh as you visit sites ranging from the Royal Mile, to execution hill (failed and successful), the birthplace of Harry Potter (along with the inspirations for character names and Hogwarts), and the colorful cemetary, in addition to much more. You'll discover everything in Scotland has a story, normally hilarious, behind it as you learn about the man who inspired Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde, spooks around the city, and the successful attempt to steal the all important "Stone of Destiny".

I cannot recommend this tour highly enough! At the end you are encouraged to pay whatever you think the tour was worth, and I (Queen of saving money), was shelling over the cash for the most enjoyable tour ever!
Andy, the most wonderful tour guid…
Edinburgh Castle
Street view
Learning about the cemetary
christl3 says:
I went on this. Thought it was amazing aswell. I have been on the free walking tours from this same company now in Dublin, London, Berlin, Amsterdam and Edinburgh. They are exceptional everywhere :)
Posted on: May 28, 2011