Sand and Cinema

North Beach, Maryland

Sand and Cinema North Beach Reviews

diisha392 diisha392
Free Movie on the Beach Jun 20, 2009
Nearly everyday of the year Calvert County only has one movie theater (down in Prince Frederick). However, for a few Saturday nights in the summer, the beach transforms into an outdoor movie theater, thanks to a large inflatable screen.

Admission is free.

Moviegoers bring their own blankets or--the smart ones--low beach chairs that support their backs without causing a major obstruction for the people behind them.

Many people also brought their own snacks or drinks. Popcorn is available on site for only $1.

The movie this week (Journey to the Center of the Earth) was scheduled to begin at 8:30, but they did delay until it was darker for optimal viewing.

I arrived around 8 to stake out my spot and the beach was already filling up. While I could see the screen well from my location, I did have a little difficulty hearing the quieter moments. Next time I will sit more on the left side, closer to the speaker locations.

edit: I returned to the beach for another movie in August: The Lion King. I did sit on the left and definitely had an easier time of hearing the movie.
the inflatable screen
popcorn
movie shot
bkretzer says:
Denver does the same thing with Red Rock Ampitheater, our outdoor, natural theater. They call it "Movie on the Rocks"
Posted on: Aug 17, 2009
PhinsAndGills says:
Our town had a HUGE success with their recent "Movie on the Lawn" and is thinking about doing one once a month or so. It's no beach (which would be WAY better) but should still be good.
Posted on: Jul 13, 2009