San Nicolas

969 24 05 19

San Nicolas cuenca Reviews

mkrh mkrh
Suitable for Long Relaxing Lunch with Top Quality Food Jul 16, 2011
So I did find a nice place to have a long relaxing lunch. I was feeling a bit tired, hungry and the temperature was getting up to low 30's so it was time to rest at 2.30pm and eat a good local lunch. The place I chose was called Restaurante San Nicolas. About 60 seconds from my hotel and another 120 seconds to the main square of the ancient part of the city. I have attached a picture of the terrace where I ate with its olive tree, modern sculpture of a classical theme and tables under an awning which looked over the cracked tiles of old buildings on the slopes leading down into the gorge and then to the river. A breeze drifted up from the river through the channels between each building which provided enough cooling to make sitting there in the terrace area very comfortable. The restaurant is family run and specializes in dishes of the Castilla-La Mancha region of which Cuenca is the capital of one of the 4 provinces in the region.

Restaurant San Nicolas is a 2 fork place so quite good. A family matriarch oversees the operation from the top of the terrace, a daughter greets me and gives me a seat for myself on the middle terrace as it gives me a good view. There are already about 10 tables full with 9 Spanish families and 1 from I would say eastern Europe.

I choose a rosé wine from the Rioja region. It has a twist top but has a light foamy bubble to it. They deliver it with an ice bucket and throughout my meal my glass is never empty but they never add more than a few mouthfuls each time. To start with they bring me a small tapa to wet my appetite on a small white plate are some toasted almonds lightly salty with a piece of serrano ham deep red in colour wrapped around a piece of fresh pineapple with a pineapple flavoured sauce. Sweet chewy completed by the almond crunchiness. My thick crusted bread is served along with the water and wine. For a starter I have a cooling soup called Ajoblanco. It is served cold in a glass and is creamy coloured, about the same consistency as milk but the flavour is something different. It is a garlic soup with balls of melon bouncing around the liquid with a hint of spicy red peppers. It cools and soothes the body and prepares me for the regional specialty - perdiz or partridge. This comes in a large soup dish with half of a cooked partridge dried apricots, prunes and dates with a soft faintly orange soup. The bones of the partridge are fine but strong, there is no fat on the meat which is dense but not stringy. Its flavour is stronger than chicken and the soft dried fruits add the sweetness.

I decide to have a dessert. This is made from local chestnuts into a foam with hot chocolate sauce served in a short glass. Mix the two together with each mouthful and the chestnut foam dominates the mouth and then dissipates to be followed by a long dark chocolate flavour, warm after the coolness of the foam.

The restaurant is housed in an old church of San Nicolas so a 1€ charge is added to the bill for maintenance of this building.

Check cuenca Hotel Deals