San Marcos La Laguna

San Marcos La Laguna - The wharf the lagoon
San Marcos La Laguna - Though a restaurant door
San Marcos La Laguna - Just quaint and serene
San Marcos La Laguna - The other end of main street
San Marcos La Laguna - This is the main street at the top of the hill...

San Marcos La Laguna Lake Atitlan Reviews

rsvpme rsvpme
A little Oasis of Peace in a Touristy Lake Area Sep 21, 2013
San Marcos La Laguna can only reached by boat. It seemingly has the reputation of attracting a laid back, hippie type, although I saw no evidence, to support that conclusion.

I jumped on one of the numerous "water taxis" from Panajachel. These go back and forth constantly. Costs were very nominal and the trip is very calm, thus easy. The views along this 15 minute trip are worth the effort.

San Marcos is a unique, small village on Lake Atitlan , in the highlands of Guatemala, composed of some very interesting components. There are virtually no roads, and every place is reached by footpaths that are hand made and shaped by the buildings, flowers and the fences.

I got the feeling of peace and quiet, and much reflection. Perhaps this is the " hippie " designation.

Actually, it is totally quite enchanting. It is one of those places that forces a person to stop and think; forces a person to look and observe. The pace slows down to a crawl.

If your idea of enjoyment is to get back to a natural setting, and to enjoy less party time and more meditation , then this is the place to spend 2-3 days.

This is a village for the spiritual minded, specializing in holistic medicine; yoga, and massage. It is a quiet and serene mecca for those who want peace , and reflection.

There are great accommodations and restaurants at reasonable costs.

I would put this on one of my top lists; for more than just one hour, when I return to the Panajachel area. Oddly enough, I Know I will return. It is one of those fixed ideas. One of those places that create a pull on the mind and body.

In my book.....the photography alone...make it a must return , for me.
This is the main street at the top…
I presume this was the church
The other end of main street
Though a restaurant door
jenniferhibbard says:
Yes, I think I know what you mean
Posted on: Jul 01, 2013
rsvpme says:
Jennifer....Does strike me as your kind of place...Interactive, if that makes any sense.
Posted on: Jul 01, 2013
jenniferhibbard says:
Missed this on my trip...too bad...sounds great, and the photographs make it look very inviting.
Posted on: Jun 30, 2013

Compare Panajachel Hotel Rates (6.6km away)

Lake Atitlan Map