San Isidoro Basilica

Location Plaza de San Isidoro 4, Leon, Spain

San Isidoro Basilica Leon Reviews

davidx davidx
Basilica and terrific museum Aug 27, 2010
It is the museum that costs but, unlike many ecclesiastical museums, it is a real must-see. I have given a website that includes every thing but for the Pantheon, which I reckon is the best of all, you should look at http://www.sanisidorodeleon.net/visita_panteon_eng.htm.

The Basilica itself is well worth seeing -not at the expense of seeing the Cathedral which, especially when the sun lights up its incredible stained glass, is one of the sights of Europe. The Basilica, as seen now, dates back to about the 12th century but there was a Christian church on the spot much earlier.

I never meant to pay to go in the museum/Pantheon with its guided tours. However I was too tired to walk and see the Parador, said to be one of the best in Spain. I just did the museum instead as I was practically there.

The tour was led by a young enthusiast and it was terrific. The Pantheon contains many tombs of the Kings of Leon but it's the frescoes that are unmissable. They are undreds of years old but the colours are as vibrant as if they were painted yesterday and the animals on the agricultural calendar, painted inside the arches, have the most expressive faces. The Treasury holds some priceless atefacts and the Library is packed with valuable old books.

Am I glad I went!!