San Francisco things to see and do

San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA

San Francisco things to see and do Reviews

mzzzmeowww mzzzmeow…
Jun 13, 2007
hi ellen,

im glad you are coming to san francisco where i live. I would recommend going to fishermans wharf or pier 39....they are next to each other within walking distance. If you are there you should take a boat around the bay or around golden gate bridge. or you can also walk over the golden gate bridge which i think is nicer. you can go to alcatraz but but that place is crazy on the weekends with tourists. After go over to Haight street for shopping. The beach in sf is ok but if you over the golden gate to marin county they are soooo much better. I dont know what kind of food you are into but i have been to all of them!!!! i love food!!! if you like chinese go to house of nanking on kearney st. Chinatown is a couple streets over so i would also recommend walking around there. I really like salvadorian food and i go to Zocalo on mission st....get the pupusas!!!!!The ferry building marketplace is full of delis, cheese shops, restaurants and gourment shops. I actually just went there after i seen the episode where rachel ray went shopping there.

If you are here around august 25-26 you can go to the Golden Gate Renaissance Festival. SF Fashion week is aug 22-26. I havent been to that one but i heard its full of parties. The stern grove festival is going on until august 19th. Its a free festival of music and art. Any other questions just ask :)
WaltJake WaltJake
Jun 13, 2007
Hi Ellen, and Welcome to TravBuddy! We also visited San Francisco this past August. We only spent one day there, but managed to pack in a lot. The Golden Gate Bridge, Fort Point Historic Park (underneath the bridge!), Fisherman's Wharf, Musee Mechanique, Pier 39 with it's seals, and of course Lombard Street, the "crookedest" street in the world. We were hoping to go up Coit Tower, which offers great views of the city and the Golden Gate Bridge, but we ran out of time! Also good to see would be Chinatown, or take a tour of Alcatraz Prison (this needs to be reserved in advance..call 2 weeks ahead) Anyway, we had a great time, and I'm sure you will too!

For more detail on the places we saw, and lots of photos, see my "2006 Cross Country National Parks Tour" blog. Have a great trip!
sdbleve says:
Ellen, my boys and I just went to SF in April. One of the things that I thought was way cool, was the night tour or Alcatraz. They have parts of the prison open that are usually closed. Since the crowd is smaller, you can also get more face time with the docents that are on the island. See my San Francisco blog for more.
Posted on: Jun 13, 2007
jbo says:
Hi Ellen! I've been to San Fran a number of times and without a doubt the best thing to do there is Alcatraz. Make sure you book in advance as mentioned, but it is totally amazing. You go to Alcatraz from Pier 39 where the sea lions are, and this is a great starting point for some of the other great sights.

Catch a tram from there to Haight Ashbury (where the 1960s happened), or walk in a few streets to where the cable cars start. A great trick with the cable cars is to hop on them along the route, rather than lining up with the hundreds of tourists at the start of the track. Even a few stops from the start means you won't have to wait for so long... well worth it.

I can recommend Coit Tower (you'll be able to see it from everywhere)... even the uphill walk to it is pleasant and the views are great.

If you want to go to Golden Gate park, time that with your trip to Haight Ashbury, as they're close by. You'll want to stay even longer than a few days, but these few things will definitely fill your time perfectly :)
Posted on: Jun 13, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About San Francisco things to see and do

San Francisco
Finally a trip to the USA. California was much closer to my country than I thought. It took 9,5 hours to fly from Amsterdam to San Francisco. I travelled with a group, much easier to visit all those …San Francisco. I travelled with a group, much easier to visit all those things to see in this…
California 2010; First stop, San Francisco with Shhun
Another trip to California and another opportunity to take my friends to see some of the things I knew when I grew up. One of my fondest memories where of San Francisco, the city by the bay. I brough…see some of the things I knew when I grew up. One of my fondest memories where of San Francisco
Packing Marathon
    With only 2 days left before we start moving our stuffs in the storage, we are constantly packing, boxing, throwing away etc.. It is amazing to see how many things we managed…see how many things we managed to stock up during the last 5 years. I remember moving to San Francisco

Check San Francisco Hotel Deals