San Francisco Downtown HI Hostel

(415) 788-5604

San Francisco Downtown HI Hostel Rates and Deals

San Francisco Downtown HI Hostel Reviews

Vikram Vikram
My very first stay in an American hostel! I'd say it's the best ever hostel worldwide! Nov 14, 2015
It feels weird writing the words "first time" and "hostel" in the same sentence because despite staying for years in hostels ALL over the world, this was the first ever time I've stayed in a hostel in the USA! And what a great "debut" this was. We'd planned a quick weekend getaway in San Francisco and rather than stay in South Bay with most of our friends and rent a car and spend time driving up north, we decided to stay put in "The City" itself.

The location can't be more perfect. Just about parallel to Union Square, home of Macy's, the big Christmas tree and just about all the action that's not Fishermen's Wharf related! It's very easy to find, and extremely well signposted. So well signposted you'd think only casinos in Vegas would be more flamboyant than this.

The checkin is very efficient. Even luggage storage - they not only tag your bags but you're supposed to show ID when you reclaim them. There's free coffee and ...... free earplugs! (never seen that before).

There's a solitary lift that works in a funny way. If 2 parties boarded and were going to different floors, the lift takes only one button press at a time. So the first party will have to alight, then the 2nd party presses his floor number!

The bedrooms are brilliant, very comfy bunker beds complete with bed lights, a power supply and 2 USB outlets (!!). Very very nice! Most rooms are warm, have great storage facilities below the bed, and a little "walk in" closet as well. Very clean and well maintained. Ridiculously strong wifi in the rooms, very different from many European hostels where I've had to go to the common room/reception as that's where the signal is the strongest.

The kitchen, located on the 3rd floor is like any YHA, but offers free breakfast (bagels with choice of cream cheese, PB & J and oatmeal). They also offer bananas and organic apples (yes, organic!). There are loads of tea and coffee makers. That said, breakfast time gets extremely busy and the dining room gets full quickly, but offers amazing views of downtown (although not much to see other than high rises).

The lobby, located on the 2nd floor is suitably plush and cosy, and on the same floor one can find the "Theatre" - a room with loads of sofas, beanie bags and cushions and a big arse HDTV. I didn't see anyone using it, but looks like a great idea.

And finally, the only area I'd fault - the bathrooms. I felt they were very few on each floor, and one of them didn't work. But the highlight was the sink above the cistern, created to combat the Californian drought (check my photos for details).

All in all, I can't recommend this hostel enough. They're so good on security they give you a card with your name and date of departure when you check in, and you're supposed to show that to the front desk every time you enter the hostel!
As I said, it's so bright and neon…
The eco-friendly toilet: in order …
The very welcoming lounge! No, it'…
The 2nd floor lounge - neatly done
vulindlela says:
Congrats!
WalterC says:
Not sure if this was the same hostel that I stayed at before the last time I was in SF. Judging from the photos, it does look very different than it did in 2009.
TB_Weet says:
Congratulations on your feature! Nice paintings :-)
kat307 kat307
Good hostel. May 15, 2012
Stayed here for 4 nights in May. The staff were helpful on arrival and also throughout our stay, giving us good tips and recommendations for places to eat, directions and tours. We had a private room, which had a set of bunk beds in, a wardrobe, a desk, lockers, and a sink and mirror. I think it could have benefited from a TV. When you are paying for a private room a TV is what you expect. It was quiet at night and we slept well. The bed was comfortable enough. There were free breakfasts every morning which was great. The food on offer varied, but we usually got bagels and a banana. There weren't enough seats in the kitchen though for everybody to sit down so we usually went back to our room with the food. The one major complaint I have about this place is the showers. They were terrible because the ones on our floor just didn't get hot! Or even warm! It was cold water for about 10 minutes whilst you are standing there waiting. I asked the staff what to do and they offered some advice on turning the tap, but it did not work. I eventually found a shower on the next floor up that was hot and went up there every day. It was inconvienient as we were actually next door to a bathroom which would've been perfect if it worked. The hostel offered a lot of social events and we went to the free pizza and a movie night which was great and the pizza was really tasty! The location was also very good.
nsw2211 nsw2211
Slow internet & slow staff Dec 31, 2012
Internet was super slow...unless in thee actual "Internet cafe". I stayed withe my boyfriend in a private room on thee 6the floor. Neither of us could get wifi there. We would have to go down to the Internet Cafe everytime.

Also, thee elevator continuously broke. Which wasnt theat big of a deal (I mean we have legs) until it came checking out time. A little bit of a hassle.

A few members of thee staff moved in slow motion and didn't seem computer savvy. Management needs to train more efficiently.

Location is great. Clean.

Check San Francisco Downtown HI Hostel Rates and Deals