San Diego Museum of Art at Balboa Park

San Diego Museum of Art at Balboa Park Reviews

nicolecarp nicoleca…
A bit of History - San Diego Museum of Art May 14, 2010
Museum of Art - Balboa Park

Cost: $12 - Discount for seniors, students and kids.

Construction of this museum began in 1924 and was completed in 1926. The historic aspect is felt upon walking in. A feeling I had recognized before when entering Hearst Castle. A large staircase in one of the first things you notice. If you have items that need to be stored such as strollers or backpacks the front counter will do so at no charge.

There are 4 main areas of the museum to choose from although different exhibitions pass through from time to time. The main exhibit halls are: American Art, European Art, Asian Art and Contemporary. I personally like Asian art and it was probably the most interesting for me out of everything within the museum. The Asian art section includes sculptures, masks, paintings and ceramics. Countries include China, Japan, Southern Asia and Korea.

The contemporary art area is my second favorite. To be able to stand in front of a Picasso or a piece that Salvador Dali created makes my mind go a thousand different places. I remember the first time that I really got an understanding of a Picasso it was seeing a picture of Guernica.

The European art section houses some amazing talent and very old paintings. One that caught my eye was Queen Henrietta Maria Flemish in 1636 by Anthony Van Dyck 1. The beauty and details are amazing as are every other painting that captures the subject being painted. Another common favorite featured was Monet. I wasn't as familiar with the artists in this section, some paintings were from the 1400's but all were equally impressive. Be sure to ask questions of the people who work at the museum you may learn something about the paintings you would never guess just walking by.

The American art hall contains art up until 1965. Artists such as Mary Cassatt, John la Farge and William Chase grace the walls. The always impressive Diego Rivera and Georgia O'Keefe also have paintings for viewing.

Photography IS allowed in the museum surprisingly but please me mindful that there are private exhibits where photography is not allowed.
I feel their pain.
Sweetski says:
Lovely review Nicole. If ever nearby, I would make sure to visit this museum. $12 isn't much to see the likes of Picasso and Monet :)
Posted on: May 14, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About San Diego Museum of Art at Balboa Park

Day at the Museum
Art and Tom went to Balboa Park in San Diego and visited a few museums.  One was the history of the city of San Diego.   The other was a natural history museum that had a special exhib…Art and Tom went to Balboa Park in San Diego and visited a few museums.  One was the history…
Founded by the Germans,who named it San Diego, which of course is german for a whales vagina!
DAY 1 Our first full day of our trip involved travel, great! We had already decided not to stay in Los Angeles for any longer than we needed to, everyone we knew had basically told us not to hang ar…San Diego museum of art which highlights included an Andy Wharhol self portrait and to Monet originals.We finished our time in Balboa park

Check San Diego Hotel Deals