Sam's Bar

Kathmandu, Nepal

Sam's Bar Kathmandu Reviews

scottishboy scottish…
Relaxed Atmospheric Bar Aug 06, 2009
While taking part in a volunteer placement in Kathmandu last August(09) i stayed in a little village outside the city. During the weekends, my friends and i would travel into the tourist district of Kathmandu - Thamel. We would check into a hotel and then go out for a nice meal and a few drinks.

The first weekend we tried lots of little bars and clubs until we came across 'Sam's Bar'.

The entrance to the bar is well hidden amongst the many doors,signs of Thamel and so it was good luck that we found the place. We went inside and upstairs into the bar area. The bar area is small and has a local feel towards it.

We bought a few drinks and then went and found a few seats in the sitting area.

The sitting area was not too small and not too big. Nice little cosy area. The chairs were comfortable and we had our own little table with a candle burning for that chilled out experience.

The walls of the bar are absolutely covered in peoples names and quotes from years past. So we thought we would be good sports and add our names to the walls. I wrote " Jamie Mitchell Glasgow " and drew a little Scotland flag :)

We enjoyed our time so much in this little bar, that we returned every single time we came to Thamel.

We even got to know the barman who was called Jack. And we spoke to the famous "Sam" a few times too.

In this bar we met sooo many people from all over the world and one night we actually had nearly the whole bar sitting with us.

It is just a great place to unwind and relax in a very chilled atmosphere right in the middle of busy loud Thamel.

I fully recommend that anyone traveling to Kathmandu and looking for somewhere to go for a few quiet drinks, then go to Sam's Bar.

If you cannot find it, then ask one of the Rickshaw Drivers.

And remember to ask for the pen and leave your mark on the walls.
Jack the Barman and Michael
Jack the Barman
Jack the Barman and Me
Olivia from Oz, Annie and Jayde
sonardestruction says:
Weird.. I found this post on 06-08-16 and my name is Jamie Mitchell as well, in Kathmandu now but from Glasgow! I'm going to try and see if your name still on the wall 😀
Posted on: Aug 12, 2016
Kathmandu1 says:
I have been at Sam's place couple of times. Ofcourse your review is perfect, and we may see here one day :)
Posted on: Sep 08, 2010